Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Passion aka "The Muffin" always ran around 188 deg. Recently it is running around 199 deg so I got to thinking maybe the antifreeze was low. It sure looks low to me but I'll wait until Big Ed can take a look at it.

What would cause the level to be low? It lives in a closed garage and there are no puddles of anything under the car.

And would that cause it to run hotter than usual?

it has a little over 31,000 miles.

Thanks in advance!
Kathy aka klesmiley

·
Registered
364 Posts
Maybe you were low for a while but it was just enough to keep it running. That was my situation until someone ran me off the road into a ditch and I'm guessing during the little airborne time I had I got a bubble in the system and started running hot. I had to add some coolant and then burp the system.
My 2015 Passion aka "The Muffin" always ran around 188 deg. Recently it is running around 199 deg so I got to thinking maybe the antifreeze was low. It sure looks low to me but I'll wait until Big Ed can take a look at it.

What would cause the level to be low? It lives in a closed garage and there are no puddles of anything under the car.

And would that cause it to run hotter than usual?

it has a little over 31,000 miles.

Thanks in advance!
Kathy aka klesmiley

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Igor, the coolant was low and we added some to it. Didn't do the burp but checked it again the following morning. It was still up to the MAX line. I'll check it every few days to make sure it's ok.

My hubby and I couldn't understand why it was low but thought maybe it had a bubble when it had its last tune-up. At the dealership. Hmm. Guess I would have expected them to catch that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you don't have time or possibility to burp the system, I heard that if you park the car on a step hill, nose up, and let it idle for a while that could potentially burp the bubble. I haven't tried that so I cannot confirm.
On a different note, if you have a way to monitor the coolant temp, that would be good. My understanding is that the smart coolant temp sensor doesn't read the temp correctly when not in coolant (like I'm an air bubble) and doesn't sound the overhearing alarm until it's too late.
Hi Igor, the coolant was low and we added some to it. Didn't do the burp but checked it again the following morning. It was still up to the MAX line. I'll check it every few days to make sure it's ok.

My hubby and I couldn't understand why it was low but thought maybe it had a bubble when it had its last tune-up. At the dealership. Hmm. Guess I would have expected them to catch that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't have time or possibility to burp the system, I heard that if you park the car on a steep hill, nose up, and let it idle for a while that could potentially burp the bubble. I haven't tried that so I cannot confirm.
On a different note, if you have a way to monitor the coolant temp, that would be good. My understanding is that the smart coolant temp sensor doesn't read the temp correctly when not in coolant (like I'm an air bubble) and doesn't sound the overhearing alarm until it's too late.
I rely on the ScanGuage for the temperature but it's getting its input from the sensor. But you're saying it's only inaccurate when the sensor is in a bubble if I understand correctly.

The coolant temperature was quite a bit lower today than the 199 deg reported earlier. The outside temperature was in the single digits today so we'll see what the coolant temp is when it's not so cold outside.

I'll keep an eye open for a steep hill but there aren't many here in Indiana! Good suggestion though.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Parking on a steep hill will NOT burp the system unless the front of the car is higher than the whole motor. The coolant lines run under the floor to the front of the car. The floor would have to be higher than the motor, which is not possible unless you flip the car over, hang it from a tree, etc. Burping the car is quite easy as you would only need to remove a hose clamp, slide the hose back, and let out the air until coolant starts coming out. Here with single digit outside temps, my 08 runs around 170-190

·
Registered
333 Posts
Parking on a steep hill will NOT burp the system unless the front of the car is higher than the whole motor. The coolant lines run under the floor to the front of the car. The floor would have to be higher than the motor, which is not possible unless you flip the car over, hang it from a tree, etc. Burping the car is quite easy as you would only need to remove a hose clamp, slide the hose back, and let out the air until coolant starts coming out. Here with single digit outside temps, my 08 runs around 170-190

I agree with this 100%.

After changing the coolant in my 451, I burped the air out from the hose on the side of the head. I then drove the car around to warm it up while monitoring the temperature on the scan gauge. The reported temperature was very erratic, so I pulled into my neighbor's very steep driveway and revved the car a few times, no go, still erratic readings. Back on the level I pulled the hose on the head again and bled some more air out and things have been fine since.

~toaster

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...Burping the car is quite easy as you would only need to remove a hose clamp, slide the hose back, and let out the air until coolant starts coming out. Here with single digit outside temps, my 08 runs around 170-190
Thanks for the chuckle, Jim!

This is easy for you guys but
1. I wouldn't know where to find that hose and
2. my hands aren't strong enough to do that stuff anymore

But you made me smile! Maybe I can hang it from that tree! LOL!

Thanks!

PS: But I can still replace a burned out headlight, thank you very much! :D

PPS: And all this is said in good cheer!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
To be honest, I had to got o Evilution to find the hose, and it is right at the top of the motor, wasn't bad to pull it off, I do have a hard time getting my hand down behind the Headlight to put new bulbs in, and the turn signal bulb is just about impossible! Guess my paws are a bit too big.

They trimmed the tree on the side yard so I don't have anywhere to hang my smart on anymore..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts