Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've had a smart car for 4 months, using it primarily to take my 5yr old to school and go grocery shopping, errands, stuff around town. I took it in to a local CHP to make sure I had the car seat installed correctly. Basically, he made me feel awful for getting a smart car and driving my son around in it. :( I decided to shake it off after reading the smart car website about safety and how others drive their kids in theirs. I did learn though, that his seat expires in 6 months so I'm in the market for another seat. It was recommended to keep him in the 5 point harness, not a booster, in this car because the booster would have him to low in the seat, and too close to the dash. We have a Britax Boulevard now. What do others have for their 5-6 year olds in their smart cars? Thanks, I'd appreciate your suggestion.

·
17,345 Posts
I took it in to a local CHP to make sure I had the car seat installed correctly. Basically, he made me feel awful for getting a smart car and driving my son around in it.
He's not an engineer, I'd laugh at him and tell him how safe it ACTUALLY is! :)

As for a good seat, being a single 21 year old with no offspring, can't help you there. :D

Welcome to the asylum!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I am an engineer. I have no problem driving my smart with my kid's in the passenger side?
(of course, they are 19 & 21 YRS old and don't want Dad to drive them anywhere?)

The Booster issue is due to airbags. In the smart, the passenger side airbags automatically disable when there is less than a certain weight in the seat? (85 lbs if I recall correctly?)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Recaro rider all the way! best in class with ultimate safety included! :D

it may be a bit pricey, but well worth the cost, style, and keeps you flashy in the car enthusiast world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts