Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(i didn't know where exactly to put this so sorry if its in the wrong area) so sometime last week my smart car didn't start up and gave me the 3 lines on the dash and we don't know what exactly is wrong with it. we did tests got some error codes and stuff but today i figured out a fuse was blown and replaced it and that still didn't start the car. Then we tried to recharge the battery and still nothing we currently have the battery unplugged to see if that will do anything but we realized today that the car can no longer shift between gears i went through the forums to see if anything i can go off of but everyone is saying try the battery first. also the model is the 2010 smart fortwo passion (its one of the 2010 models)

·
Registered
153 Posts
After you recharge the battery, I would do a transmission reteach. With the gear selector in Park, foot on brake pedal, turn key to #1 position and slowly move the gear selector from park, to reverse, neutral, & drive and slowly move it back up to park stopping briefly in each position. You should hear some clunking coming from the transmission as it re-learns. Switch off the key and turn it back on and hopefully, the letter P will appear instead of the 3 bars.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Have you taken a volt meter to you car battery. A good battery should have a 12.4 volt output. Modern cars need strong battery for them to operate correctly.

·
17,431 Posts
First thing I'd make sure is that the battery is actually good. A weak battery won't have enough power to satisfy the finicky electronics. If the battery checks out (or you replace it and it still won't start), I'd move to the transmission reteach stated in the second post. If that doesn't work, check for function of your brake lights. A dead brake switch can cause some issues. And finally, if THAT doesn't work there's a change you're looking at needing to clean/replace the clutch actuator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok sorry for late replys but gonna answer questions now

battery..i have no bloody clue was gonna go get it checked today but things happened hopefully gonna check tomorrow.

transmission.... saw someone say reteach it or something but we cant even shift it at all it refuses to shift gears.

also the codes i got were because of the busted fuse after we fixed the fuse it the code was gone and it still didnt start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(i didn't know where exactly to put this so sorry if its in the wrong area) so sometime last week my smart car didn't start up and gave me the 3 lines on the dash and we don't know what exactly is wrong with it. we did tests got some error codes and stuff but today i figured out a fuse was blown and replaced it and that still didn't start the car. Then we tried to recharge the battery and still nothing we currently have the battery unplugged to see if that will do anything but we realized today that the car can no longer shift between gears i went through the forums to see if anything i can go off of but everyone is saying try the battery first. also the model is the 2010 smart fortwo passion (its one of the 2010 models)
I have a 2008 Smart Car passion mine did that for the longest time and it ended up being the shift motor not the actuator

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms mine had when the anti theft system was triggered by my attempt to fix my blower motor. I eventually researched how to reset the security system and the 3 bars went away and it started again all back to normal, it was so scary because of the 3 bars of death.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts