Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I used one of the car washes at Nationals and it did a really good job.

I would talk to the operators/owners before trying to use the car wash, preferably a touchless one.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
There is at least one chain that will not take smarts, and I found a wash in Indiana where the attendants had been told not to take the smart either. Good idea to check before hand, but using a car wash (especially in colder areas where hand washing isn't an option for the next few months) is certainly possible. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its because the hood issues. Every time I go through a Mikes Car Wash they give me a paper and tell me they can not be held responsible for damage to the car. I am pretty sure in the paper given out it even says hoods come off during drying. I have never had a problem but watching the hood as you go thru the dryer you can see it lift on the windshield side. I normally go to a local car wash that will turn the dryers off and hand dry the car at no extra cost!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its because the hood issues. Every time I go through a Mikes Car Wash they give me a paper and tell me they can not be held responsible for damage to the car. I am pretty sure in the paper given out it even says hoods come off during drying. I have never had a problem but watching the hood as you go thru the dryer you can see it lift on the windshield side. I normally go to a local car wash that will turn the dryers off and hand dry the car at no extra cost!
There's one automatic car wash by me that has different options. The basic wash doesn't include drying so that may work for my lil Smartie?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Could be the hood (never had one come off) but also the track width; as smark pointed out, some of them can tear up the wheels on a smart. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
car wash:

Why not take advantage of the complimentary car wash that most MB dealers will provide to owners of MB products including our smart cars.:wink:

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Maybe in your neck of the woods; unless they carry the smart brand, the M-B dealers here don't want anything to do with them. :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
As ours in now on the 'old' side ...

and even before ... to get the Midwest salt off we take it to a 'semi' automatic one that you'll typically see attached to a Mobil or other gas station. On those all you do is drive forward and the front wheels 'lock' the car wash system in place so that it can start, etc.

It does OK, not great but OK as the wash doesn't always do a great job in the back because the car is so short (compared to just about anything else).

We've had absolutely no damage from this type but could see when those dryers get going on the 'full-size' washes how a front hood might fly off.

All other times of the year we hand wash as there simply isn't much car there and it takes no time at all ... plus of course we have a garage and easy access to water, etc.; not so for apt., etc. dweller's w/o access.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I find a brushless car wash is fine for little Munchkin when I am too lazy, or it is too cold, to wash it myself. I would not recommend that you use a car wash using brushes.

Jim

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We get ours washed and dried by hand for only $30 pesos, almost anywhere we park. That is about $2.35 USD. It is also the best way to get someone to keep an eye on your car, since they are waiting to spot you returning so they can get paid.
Of course, we have no hood problems, as we have no hood on our 450.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts