Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if we will be able to drive through a commercial car wash or will we have to hand wash our Smarts? Not that it would be a big deal, I'm thinking baby wet wipes might do the job.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Too narrow to fit into the self guiding tracks and the side rollers won't reach in that far..Someone had a picture on here recently. Looks like a wand wash is a good as it will get until they make a special *SMart42* carwash!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
After a rainy drive of a "clubman racer" (the Caterham) to the track, and facing SCCA tech appearance standards, I washed the whole car with a shop rag and a small bottle of Perrier. The Caterham may have had more surface area than a smart.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Does anyone know if we will be able to drive through a commercial car wash or will we have to hand wash our Smarts? Not that it would be a big deal, I'm thinking baby wet wipes might do the job.
Please don't ue a commercial wash on your car. It will put microscratches all over your finish. Wash by hand (coin-op spray bays are the best). Given the size of the car, it shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
This will give me a good reason to push myself over the edge and buy a good pressure washer. A pressure washer uses alot less water than just washing with a hose and pail in the driveway and with water becoming a scarcer and scarcer commodity, this makes sense. I can also use it to wash down the siding on my house in the shaded back to get the mold and mildew off.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Microwaves.

Jonnysan's power washer seems to be the best idea, so far. But, it still does not solve the problem of cleaning the bottom.

A Smart with a dirty bottom is not Smart at all, especially when it's Michigan or NY road salt.

Since my former days were filled with micro-seconds and micro-waves...
Micro-scratches will not bother me at all.

Wife will be using this car "on the road" (this first winter) and will need to wash it often. As she is all dressed up I know she will not want to run it through a hand wash. :)

Another solution is needed. I'm still looking!
A2jack

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
After seeing the discussion and photos of the cabrio top I'd stay away from anything with pressure in the title - looks like it'll be easy to force water into/under the top. :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't even go through automated washes in my Miata. If I am stuck using a coin was, I use the spot free rinse on the wand for the top a light brush and no soap on it for my cloth top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never taken my car through an automatic car wash, ever. I would much rather hand wash my car. It only takes me about 15 minutes to wash my New Beetle so it should take no more than 5 to wash the Smart.:D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Jonnysan's power washer seems to be the best idea, so far. But, it still does not solve the problem of cleaning the bottom.

A
If you have an angled nozzle on the pressure wand like they do at the coin-ops, you can easily get the bottom of the car perfectly clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So what do you think dealers and service centers are going to do about washing the SmartCars? It takes too long to hand wash if you are working at a dealership and wasted time is wasted money...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I happen to like cleaning my cars. The MGA and the TR6 usualy only take minutes to wash and dry and the smart will be even quicker to hand wash.

Not every city deweller (a likely smart demographic) has the hand wash option, but they needent fret; studies by (BMW, Mercedes and Univ of Texas) show that automatic car washes are less damaging to a cars paint then hand washing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So what do you think dealers and service centers are going to do about washing the SmartCars? It takes too long to hand wash if you are working at a dealership and wasted time is wasted money...
My Mini Dealer washes each car after service and does each by hand. Takes just a few minutes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Received a call back from the local full-service wash in St. Paul (can I plug them?): they're not familiar with the smart, but they measured the track for me, and they can handle a car that, from inside of the time to inside of the tire, is 3.5 feet or wider.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I specifically tell the dealer not to clean my car when it's in for service for that exact reason.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Smart wash.

Received a call back from the local full-service wash in St. Paul (can I plug them?): they're not familiar with the smart, but they measured the track for me, and they can handle a car that, from inside of the time to inside of the tire, is 3.5 feet or wider.
Propes:

Thanks for the post.It should work :)

Ithoboy:

Wife can't do the hand wash thing while on the road (all dressed up).
I'll drive over to a hand wash and experiment on the Festiva. but I'm not sure the wand is curved on the one near us. Thanks. :)

A2Jack

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmm, I dont think I will be using a power washer because I am concerned about blowing the Smart apart while washing it. :D But I will use the old hose and sponge method since I dont think it will fit in the car wash. Oh yeah I use the ones with the cloth washing strips all of the time on all of my cars including Vette. When you get down to it, it is just a car ** a depreciating item that gets you where you want to go, not an investment. Thats what I try to keep telling myself. Besides the clear coat finish on the new cars today are really strong. I think its more important to keep the car in a garage.

Now my Bugatti Vernon and Ferrari 430 on the other hand ... don't I wish. :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts