Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if there is a thread already started for something like this or not...I moved out of state and couldn't take my 2009 passion with me and it sat in the garage at my parents house for about 2 years without being started. Needless to say I have had to replace a few things. I replaced the battery and it would start and run but rough then it just got to where it wont start at all. My first thought was a clogged fuel filter but apparently this car doesn't have one. Any suggestions on what I should do to get her running again. I know all of the fluids, hoses, filters and belt need replaced. From what I was reading in another thread the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and is in the fuel tank. Is this correct? Can the fuel pump be replaced without replacing the tank? Please help.... Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
29,385 Posts
Two years counts as storage - lots of things needed to properly store a car, but that's in the past. The fuel/pump filter can be replaced separately from the tank, but the tank has to come out to get to the fuel pump....the car needs fuel, air and spark to run. Might want to check that all of those are present (or not) before dropping the tank. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you put in fresh gas?? Its like a generator that you have to run every month to keep the carburetor from clogging up. Gas evaporates and leaves gum from where it has evaporated. Your injectors may be clogged. Try Sea Foam in the fuel system to help dissolve left over gum. Try spraying starter fluid in the intake, but be very carful as very explosive.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That fuel has turned to crap... you need to get ALL of it out, and then start with replacing the fuel filers, and cleaning out the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also, run some injector/carb cleaner additive for the first few tanks... might also want to try some marvel mystery oil.....!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts