Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery keeps running low and I have to boost it to start. I crossed the positive and negative boosting cable and now the car won’t turn over. When I turn the key I’m still getting power and the radio turns on but it won’t initiate the starter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You probably blew the large fuse wrapped in a foam cover near the battery. A post a few days ago showed using a jumper cable to bypass the fuse & then try and engage the starter. If the car starts, you have your answer. You need to be mindful as to not reverse the polarity when using jumper cables as all kinds of damage to the the modules and alternator diodes can be the result. Good luck in finding your concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I metered all the fuses leaving the battery and they’re all fine. Everything works even wipers when I had the jumper cables on another car but won’t turn over. I know my battery is weak.
I don’t even hear a click

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
The fuse mentioned before is this one:

Tire Automotive tire Crankset Hood Motor vehicle

It's in the battery box, in a black case wrapped around the starter cable. This fuse is just for the starter and has no effect on wipers or any other system. It may pass a visual inspection but still be bad. That pretty fuse up there? Dead.

Jumper it then turn the key. I bet your car will start. If it doesn't, you're looking at a new starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
I metered that fuse and there’s continuity through it.
I guess I’ll try and hit the starter while turning the key can it be reached from underneath the car?
Or it’s time to get a mechanic involved.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Located behind the left rear wheel, right next to the clutch actuator.

What I did was take the ends of a jumper cable and hook them up to the posts of the fuse. My car now starts. :) The old fuse was passing power through, but apparently not enough to do anything but make it click.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a smart 2013 gas one liter ...recently had starter replaced 3 months ago and now have same problem ( engine not turning over ) recently installed new battery and still the starter is not turning . Looking at my manual is a fuse numbered 33 called starter swith ( ignition ) now attemting to locate and checking .
After looking the pic with the large fuse near the battery and will try shorting it . Thank-you to whomever for the plcture showing that fuse and the info needed to bypass . Thanks for your time . It's minus 15 out there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts