Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I would still recommend the latest software update as you will like the shifting manners better. It won't be as prone to upshift into fifth gear at low speed. It will be worth the drive.
I am most glad they were right about the selector. What was the cost of the part?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would still recommend the latest software update as you will like the shifting manners better. It won't be as prone to upshift into fifth gear at low speed. It will be worth the drive.
I am most glad they were right about the selector. What was the cost of the part?
Sorry it took so long to answer... big party last night. :D So let's see... part no. 4512600409 and cost $234... $20 to ship it over here... $148 for the labor.

Diagnosis work ran about $79 and here are their notes: "Scanned all systems for faults, found multiple low voltage faults in ALL systems. Charged the battery and load tested, not OK, needs battery replaced. Also had faults for no communication to sprint shift module, cluster, ECM and ESP to selector control module. Needs module replaced."

And... so the latest update fixes the shift into 5th at 35mph!?!? Oh hell yeah! I'll be going then... that drives me nuts! Might give I-90 some time to clear with the construction junk and let all the fires die down a bit too. Do see a trip to Seattle in my near future though!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
And wouldn't you know it... the minute the wife takes it for a test drive this morning it won't go into reverse! Too funny and not so much the ha-ha way... so looks like all next week is construction week on I-90 so the following week for sure will have me driving west...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's no good. Fix should be on their dime and why didn't they do all the updates while they had the car? :)
Why should it be on their dime? Replacement of the gear shift assembly in the cabin is unrelated to the failure to engage reverse. If it did not happen to them while they had the car it seems there would be no reason to go further. In order to update the software in the trans control module they would need the factory SDS tool with a current subscription. One can update the engine control module software with a J-2534 subscription at $1000 per year and a $1500 interface but I don't know if that allows access to the trans control module. I suspect not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yeah, the EuroPro guys can read the codes and such but can't do the software updates... thus my need to run to Seattle and the deal for those to happen. I was going to wait and see just in case the new module may fix the reverse issue... but it did happen again as I said so I'll be heading that way week after next.
Should be interesting to see what the dealer has to say once I get it there... fun times.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Telling them it is not shifting into reverse should be all they need to here to know it needs the software update, though it has been reported once that a dealer said there was no update. The owner later went to a different dealer and got it done for free on the first request. It depends on the dealer whether it will be free or not.
Good luck, I hope it is free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Telling them it is not shifting into reverse should be all they need to here to know it needs the software update, though it has been reported once that a dealer said there was no update. The owner later went to a different dealer and got it done for free on the first request. It depends on the dealer whether it will be free or not.
Good luck, I hope it is free.
Free would be nice, won't hold my breath... we'll see though. And I'll let you guys know of course. And yes, should be a pretty quick and easy deal regardless...

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I watched a couple have their car towed into a dealership for the update. The car wouldn't shift into reverse. A quick and easy connection to the computer, download of software, out of warranty, no charge upgrade thru a system already in place, made the day for the customer. The customer service was GREATLY appreciated by the customer who was probably bonded on that day to the dealership as a customer for life. And it didn't cost the dealer anything to do it. Phenomenal! It made me feel good about the dealer.
In this case, there is nothing really wrong with the car, just the software that operates it has been corrected to operate it properly over the lifetime of the vehicle. The car was delivered with inadequate software and should be corrected at no charge. What a fine opportunity to connect with a customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I watched a couple have their car towed into a dealership for the update. The car wouldn't shift into reverse. A quick and easy connection to the computer, download of software, out of warranty, no charge upgrade thru a system already in place, made the day for the customer. The customer service was GREATLY appreciated by the customer who was probably bonded on that day to the dealership as a customer for life. And it didn't cost the dealer anything to do it. Phenomenal! It made me feel good about the dealer.
In this case, there is nothing really wrong with the car, just the software that operates it has been corrected to operate it properly over the lifetime of the vehicle. The car was delivered with inadequate software and should be corrected at no charge. What a fine opportunity to connect with a customer.
Absolutely! I will hope for a similar bonding experience! :laugh:

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.