Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 451 coupe, I think it's a 2009 passion if that clears it up any further, and the car recently started doing this weird thing where my right turn signal would activate both signals making it look like I was putting on my four way flashers. Talked to people I know and did some mild research on the internet and thought I should check the wires on my fuse box to make sure they weren't corroded or whatever I was thinking. Like a gosh darn idiot, I didn't unplug the battery (because I had somehow missed that instruction) when I started tinkering around with the wires that were connected to the SAM, but I never actually opened the fuse box. I did notice a clicking noise whenever I plugged the N11-2 back in. When the light was getting low I decided I couldn't see a problem and just put everything back the way it was. However, after my shenanigans the car will not respond to the lock/unlock button feature on my keys, I go to start the engine and there is just about no noise that comes up, and the dash doesn't light up with anything at all. Weird thing to me is that the radio and interior light is still able to turn on. Realizing that I have committed a major goof that I can't handle, I'm throwing myself out to the internet. Any information and condemnation on how I just messed up my car and what I'll need to do to resuscitate her would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I guess the first thing I might try is to charge the battery in case it is dead. Unfortunately I'm pretty new to my smart as well so can't go much further. There was a thread about starting a dead smart where you did, key, shift, shift, shift, key which cleared some fault in the computer though not sure if that is of any help to you.

Were it me, I would unhook the battery. Put it on charge till it's topped up then try starting it.

When my alternator died (2010 451) the battery light came on followed by the shift alert triangle, then check engine with systems failing until the car ground to a halt a block from my mechanic. I was able to boost it with my chase car (boost meaning we ran cable to put enough charge back in the battery to get started and moving) and got it to the shop. In your case that does not sound like the issue but tossing this out just in case.

Whilst the battery is disconnected you might spray some contact cleaner on the plugs, I use Deoxit which works well, then some dielectric grease.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Just a simple battery disconnect, and reconnect after about ten minutes may restore normal function. That will reboot the computers and restore anything that may have gotten confused during your probing.
That said, a weak battery can cause all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Check the battery voltage at the OBD-II data link connector under the left side of the dash. Pin 4 is chassis ground and pin 16 is battery +. Do not push the meter probes into the connector, just touch the pins. If the voltage is below 12.6 volts with the key off then charge the battery and recheck. If the battery is original is should be replaced in any case.

If the battery voltage tests good, disconnect the battery for awhile and reconnect and recheck the operation. If the fault still exists you would need to check all connections at the SAM are properly seated and test battery voltage at the SAM power stud with the large red wire on it. Be sure it is tight. If good, check all the fuses for voltage on both sides when powered up.

Data link connector pin-out: OBD2 connector

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, no luck resetting the computer or disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I'll try swapping the battery over the weekend and, hopefully, that will be my issue. Thanks to all for your inputs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts