Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matt and I stumbled across a lonely smart parked at a booth at the Minnesota State Fair Technology building, sporting a white and Blue paint job, a Car2Go sticker and computer. In the space where there is normally a glovebox, was a spot full of maps showing the Car2Go area. No one standing by to answer questions, no information desk, just the car. People were sitting in it and saying how much room it has, etc.

I started showing Matt the differences between the newer model and my Pure, and people started asking me questions. I answered quite a few and then they found out I didn't work for smart, or car2go and felt bad for wasting my time. I just smiled and told them I enjoy educating people about this fun little car. (same old questions about safety, etc)

I have never seen smart or even Mercedes at the State Fair. What a wasted opportunity. :badidea:

·
Registered
78 Posts
car2go is a relatively new car sharing service, they are from what i understand actually related to or funded by daimler (thus the smarts). the cars themselves are specially built for car2go.. kind of a mix between passions and Pures.

i just learned from the smartusa website there is supposedly a price break smart owners get when they use a car2go car.. alas if I travel from columbus 2 a car2go city I can use the car2go at a reduced rate. or even if I use one around town here in columbus.. (which I have.. more than once this summer I had walked 5 or 6 miles from my parking spot only to get caught in the rain... car2go was perfect to get me dry back to my spot...)

its a neat concept and i see these cars driving all over townso it seems to be catching on.

you use a phone app and locate a car that is not hired.
you walk up to the car your HID card unlocks the doors..
you get in type in your car2go passcode.. and then you get asked questions about if the car is clean on the inside and outside, any damage to the car or not.. the key is in the dash, you put the key in and drive.
when you reach your destination, you can choose to take the key with you.. in which case you keep getting charged by the minute (38 cents / minute.. includes rental AND fuel!).. or you can end your trip.. put the key in the dash, press end on the screen. get out, scan your card and leave.. your car2go may or may not be waiting for you when you come back.. depending on if someone took it.. (unless you kept the key)..

each time they have set up a booth here in columbus it has had good traffic and interest in the service.. and even though i own a car and drive i keep my car2go card handy for when i might need a quick ride here or there..
-Christopher

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Used car2go in DC back in August, just for the fun of it. Worked as advertised and even got to put the car back in the same spot it came from. Pretty expensive for a whole day but not too bad for an hour or so. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I could see on the literature, they are in a small area and well outside where I live, but maybe they will expand. I will be watching to see what happens this winter.

I just thought they did a poor job representing themselves at an event like a state fair with all the people attending.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Used car2go in DC back in August, just for the fun of it. Worked as advertised and even got to put the car back in the same spot it came from. Pretty expensive for a whole day but not too bad for an hour or so. :)
I used it at the Nationals in Denver :D
Agree, expensive for a day, but for us it was cheaper than to drive 2 cars or rent a trailer :D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I just thought they did a poor job representing themselves at an event like a state fair with all the people attending.
Seven long years later, smart MARKETING whether by a smart Center, smartUSA or Car2Go seems to remain a mystery for Daimler/smartUSA? :shrug:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've heard of Car2Go and I've seen their cars in Texas (they are owned by Daimler AG, by the way), but when I go to their site to see where the local-ish cars might be it will only show me Austin, TX. Anyone know which cities have Car2Go?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts