Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New NYC Smart Car owner here. We have purchased a 2017 Smart 453, that was a former Car2Go. Everything great so far, except the issue of the media center still is tied to Car2Go. The Car2Go logo comes on when 1st turned on and certain functions/settings are locked. For example, I cannot change the time. The radio plays as normal, and most functions are fine. Took it to the official Mercedes dealer for its maintenance and they spent hours trying to figure out how to reset. They could not figure it out.

Was wondering if anyone has come across, or know a fix for this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha. Have looked in to that. Not sure how handy I am for something like that. Plus don't know if the cost is worth it just because the time is off an hour 6 months of the year.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Ha. Have looked in to that. Not sure how handy I am for something like that. Plus don't know if the cost is worth it just because the time is off an hour 6 months of the year.
Is the car still under warranty? If so, the issue should be referred to company service rep - perhaps even if past warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We took it in to Mercedes for maintenance. They could not figure out how to reset it after several hours trying. This is something Car2Go probably should have reset before they sold off the cars, but it at least was not done in this one. And now there is no more Car2Go so I can't contact them.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
According to the manual you get to the clock through the Settings menu. You can download the audio system manual from smartusa.com. :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,097 Posts
Call the M-B Customer Service line and ask them to open a case - it should be covered under warranty unless you bought the C2G “as is?”

But if resetting the clock is your only real issue - appears that JW has given you the answer?

1 (800) 367-6372

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
According to the manual you get to the clock through the Settings menu. You can download the audio system manual from smartusa.com. :)
On the 453, the speedo clock and the tach clock are set by the steering wheel controls. They are linked. The radio clock can only be set by the radio buttons.
Like I said before, if the car is still under warranty I would open a case with MB. It’s obvious the dealership doesn’t have any experience with Car2Go versions of the smart. Is the radio the standard one, not the one with larger screen? If so, you may be able to find a used standard radio on eBay cheap and see if the replacement will work properly.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hello. New NYC Smart Car owner here. We have purchased a 2017 Smart 453, that was a former Car2Go. Everything great so far, except the issue of the media center still is tied to Car2Go. The Car2Go logo comes on when 1st turned on and certain functions/settings are locked. For example, I cannot change the time. The radio plays as normal, and most functions are fine. Took it to the official Mercedes dealer for its maintenance and they spent hours trying to figure out how to reset. They could not figure it out.

Do you have a gasser o electric Smart 453???

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've got the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
I've got the same issue.
Welcome!!!
The Car2Go fortwos have head units with proprietary software meant for the rental service. This software isn't deleted upon resale and it seems like most dealerships don't know how to fix it.

Think of these head units like a smartphone, the software is installed to the system's internal storage. Another owner of a former Car2Go figured out that a factory reset just resets it back into the Car2Go software.

It seems like your best bet is to buy an aftermarket head unit. The factory one isn't all that great, anyway. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome!!!
The Car2Go fortwos have head units with proprietary software meant for the rental service. This software isn't deleted upon resale and it seems like most dealerships don't know how to fix it.

Think of these head units like a smartphone, the software is installed to the system's internal storage. Another owner of a former Car2Go figured out that a factory reset just resets it back into the Car2Go software.

It seems like your best bet is to buy an aftermarket head unit. The factory one isn't all that great, anyway. :)
Can you recommend an aftermarket unit? I've asked a couple of local audio shops and they have not been very helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed the procedure here to update the media software and had no issues on my former Cars2Go car. After the update was installed the time was correct but I do now have the option to manually set it which I didn’t have before.

Hi there, I followed the instructions and updated. I still cannot access those settings it is locked with the Car2Go logo. Can you share if you did anything different other than install using the usb?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My local Mercedes dealer reset mine to disable the car2go under warranty. They had to contact Mercedes support to learn how to do it. I also found out that DDT4ALL software will change it as I have tuned it off on another 453 I own myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local Mercedes dealer reset mine to disable the car2go under warranty. They had to contact Mercedes support to learn how to do it. I also found out that DDT4ALL software will change it as I have tuned it off on another 453 I own myself.
Could you elaborate on what you did in DDT4ALL to disable it in your smart? I just went through DDT4ALL to enable Android Auto on my previously Car2Go Smart and while it worked, I can't actually use any of the android auto features because my unit isn't sharing data with any outside parties (something along those lines, I can check during lunch).

Would greatly appreciate the help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts