Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to start some caravan planning - July will be here pretty soon.

Eastern caravans (only St. Louis and west so far - anything coming from farther east?)
Western caravans (the SoCal smarties are working this one I think)
Northern caravans (Nebraska so far...)
Southern caravans (so far the Houston folks are on board)

More? Overnight spots on the way to Denver? Caravan tips? :)

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
A caravan going west thru St. Louis sounds great but we can't leave until 3-4 pm on the 10th as my wife is running a conference until then.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
caravan to the Nationals:

The So Cal Smarties is planning a caravan that will depart from the Monrovia/Duarte area of Los Angeles County on Sunday, July 7th. Our 1st stop will probably be in Hesperia at the IN & Out to meet-up with those coming from the San Diego area, the Inland Empire, and Orange County. Our next stop will probably be in the Las Vegas area where anyone from the Sin City Smarts is welcome to join our caravan. We plan on spending the 1st night in Mesquite, NV and the 2nd night in Green River, UT. at Holiday Inn Expresses. We plan on arriving at the Weston on July 10th. We also plan on meeting up with Russ Glissman and some other smarties on the 10th for a drive through Loveland Pass on the way to Westminster. Our driving and overnight stays may have to be re-set in order for us to do this scenic side trip. Please feel free to join our caravan. Walkie/talkies are highly recommended and you can learn the details by going over to: www.meetup.com/socalsmarties. The information about the caravan is in the discussion forums so click on the discussion button at the top of the home page.:smartje.grs.zw::smartje.bl.zw::smartje.wt.zw::smartje.rd.zw::smartje.zw.zw::smartje.bl.zl:

·
Registered
118 Posts
A caravan going west thru St. Louis sounds great but we can't leave until 3-4 pm on the 10th as my wife is running a conference until then.
I think we can get a meetup in St.Louis at the smart center in Creve Coeur like we did for the nationals in KC. That would be the best central meetup point because we could then stop in KC and have a group dinner, then drive about 3 hour and do an overnight in Salina, then head out the next morning to Westminster (which would be only be a little over 6 hrs). If you feel ambitious, you could just drive straight on through from Salina if you wanted. I hate driving more than 6-7 hours a day when I travel, but that's just me.

Unfortunately for you **** if this gets organized, I think most people coming into St. Louis will probably be leaving out on the 9th or early on the 10th. (depending where they come out of and when they get into St. Louis).

Since I used to live in St.Louis and know the area, I'll check into seeing if any of the hotels can give us a better rate for the 8th (and 9th for those who would be coming in later and leaving early on the 10th). Most of us stayed at the La Quinta in Maryland Heights which was clean and cheap (Also right down the road from the smart center).

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
The So Cal Smarties is planning a caravan that will depart from the Monrovia/Duarte area of Los Angeles County on Sunday, July 7th. Our 1st stop will probably be in Hesperia at the IN & Out to meet-up with those coming from the San Diego area, the Inland Empire, and Orange County. Our next stop will probably be in the Las Vegas area where anyone from the Sin City Smarts is welcome to join our caravan. We plan on spending the 1st night in Mesquite, NV and the 2nd night in Green River, UT. at Holiday Inn Expresses. We plan on arriving at the Weston on July 10th. We also plan on meeting up with Russ Glissman and some other smarties on the 10th for a drive through Loveland Pass on the way to Westminster. Our driving and overnight stays may have to be re-set in order for us to do this scenic side trip. Please feel free to join our caravan. Walkie/talkies are highly recommended and you can learn the details by going over to: www.meetup.com/socalsmarties. The information about the caravan is in the discussion forums so click on the discussion button at the top of the home page.:smartje.grs.zw::smartje.bl.zw::smartje.wt.zw::smartje.rd.zw::smartje.zw.zw::smartje.bl.zl:
Bob, So Far I have 2 cars leaving on the 8th from South Lake Tahoe, CA and traveling HWY 50 to Ely,Nv 1st night (8th) and Green River, UT 2nd night (9th). We hope to join up with all of you for the last day (10th) to Westminster, CO :smartje.bl.zw::smartje.wt.zw:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Caravan Plans from Lincoln, NE

Tentative plans for a caravan from Lincoln, Nebraska are as follows:

Tuesday, July 9 -
7:00-8:00 a.m. - Meet in Lincoln @ Perkins Restaurant (just off I-80 – Airport Exit 399), for breakfast
Drive 230 miles (3 ½ hours)
Noon-1:00 p.m. - North Platte to fill tanks (cars & tummies)
Drive 265 miles (3 ½ -4 hours)
(Perhaps stop for dinner on the outskirts of Denver to avoid the after-work rush hour before heading to our hotel in Westminster CO)

If you want to join our caravan, please email me the following:
- Your name
- Email address
- Contact phone number
- Color and model of your car
- Where and when you’ll join us

Continue to check this site for updates. I will email everyone with final plans as well as posting them here.

Looking forward to hearing from a lot of enthusiastic Smart car owners!

You can find more information about the 2013 Smart Car National Convention and Car Show @
https://smartcarnatls.com/

Marcy
[email protected]
402/476-6719

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
East coasters?

Any east coast caravans in the works? I thought some folks were coming from Florida as well as the New York area, even DC - no signs of that so far. Any plans to meet with the St. Louis group and motor west? Inquiring minds, etc. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
At this time the Houston Caravan is planning to overnight in Amarillo and then take Hwy 287 to Limon Ana meet up with the St Louis caravan there. Anyone wanting to meet up with us along the way just let me know and I'll get you the full route.

·
Registered
436 Posts
At this time the Houston Caravan is planning to overnight in Amarillo and then take Hwy 287 to Limon Ana meet up with the St Louis caravan there. Anyone wanting to meet up with us along the way just let me know and I'll get you the full route.
I have to RON in Boise City, OK the night of the 9th. That would appear to be on your route from Amarillo, about 2 hrs or so north.

I could sleep in a bit longer and meet up with you guys as you pass through Boise City on 287.

1. Can you estimate your ETD Amarillo?

2. Is your group using walkie talkies? If so, which number freq will you be on.

I have been in the sickbed for two weeks, and am just now improving. I feared for my trip having to be cancelled. I should be on my way.

Will my mentor, Jan, be with you?

Jim Brown

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
....what day and at what time is the St Louis caravan leaving for the big pow-wow??

jetfuel.... still planning...

·
Registered
118 Posts
....what day and at what time is the St Louis caravan leaving for the big pow-wow??

jetfuel.... still planning...
Staying at the La quinta on the 8th, leaving on the 9th around 10:30-11:00 am, stay over in Salina, KS., leave Salina at 9:30 am, meetup with Houston crew in Limon, Co. around 2:30-3:00 pm, head to Westminster.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Staying at the La quinta on the 8th, leaving on the 9th around 10:30-11:00 am, stay over in Salina, KS., leave Salina at 9:30 am, meetup with Houston crew in Limon, Co. around 2:30-3:00 pm, head to Westminster.
Your leaving from Plaza motors, right??? By the way Jet, that's 10:30-11:00am CST not EST...:rolleyes:

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Leaving Limon at 3 will have us arriving in the Denver area during rush hour. That can add an hour or more to the journey to the hotel. Hopefully it won't but we got caught in it last week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts