Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just purchased a 2013 Passion 451 coupe with 60k miles on it. I love these cars and did not have to think twice. The shape, front end, clam shell doors and large windows reminds me of an aircraft ... specifically circa 1960s Learjet model 23.

The polycarb top has no crazing at all .. perfectly clear and hope to keep it this way. Can anyone suggest the best uv protector to use? Would Aerospace 303 be suitable or is there something better?

Since purchase have changed engine air filter, transmission oil and added rear spike protectors.

This forum is great ... so much knowledge here !!

·
Registered
239 Posts
First of all, keep it out of the strong sun as much as possible or use a car cover. Keep the roof panel clean. I use a product called Speed Clean. They can be reached at: [email protected]. You can use a CA duster to remove light dust. A quick detailer works also. Clay bar followed up with a good plastic safe wax is also good as are 303 products.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the advice! May i ask another question? I recently changed the transmission oil (60k miles on car) with Royal Purple 75w-90 GL4. A few days later the gear shifting has degraded about 90% and check engine light has come on! Trans is not up or downshifting correctly, it can get stuck in a certain gear and it feels like limp-home mode. Never had any previous problems w transmission or shifting !

·
Registered
239 Posts
Changing the transmission oil shouldn't have caused this issue but I would have used the recommended Castrol Bot 328. Check the connector on the clutch actuator & the transmission shift motors. You can also disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, reconnect & relearn the transmission.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
Thank you very much for the advice! May i ask another question? I recently changed the transmission oil (60k miles on car) with Royal Purple 75w-90 GL4. A few days later the gear shifting has degraded about 90% and check engine light has come on! Trans is not up or downshifting correctly, it can get stuck in a certain gear and it feels like limp-home mode. Never had any previous problems w transmission or shifting !
Yeah, sounds like the shift motors are fouled. If your breather cap is also fouled the oil may have foamed up and caused the problem in the motors. Elsewhere on forum are stickies on how to clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights! It appears the problem may be engine and not transmission related. Ck engine light came on. Codes PO303, PO301, PO302 and P2177 ... misfiring and too lean mixture. I have topped up fresh gas and will change spark plugs. Transmission seems to be working fine but engine exhibits very low power at times with some occassional small 'pop' backfires. Hopefully not a major problem !¡

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ... it turns out the problems i had on my attempted road trip were all engine related. The car was struggling at low speed, backfiring and i was getting ready to call a tow truck (P0301, PO302, PO303 & P2177). I could only achieve about 30 mph going up an incline.

After changing spark plugs and having the 3 injectors flushed all is fixed and car is noticibly more powerful. Compression test 171, 174 and 172 psi. Engine oil and filter also changed, due to possible oil contamination from injector flushes. I feel i was lucky on this one and i probably have ended up with a very good 451.

My only possible regret was changing transmission fluid 2 weeks ago to Royal Purple 75/90 weight GL4/GL5. I think i should have used oem Castrol product.

Should i change out transmission fluid to Castrol, maybe in a year or so, or am i safe leaving the Royal Purple in?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,084 Posts
Different brands and types of oil have been heavily debated on this forum and from what I have seen most people stand by their opinions and would not be changed. My son swears by Royal Purple and spends a fortune on it for his vehicles. I stick to Mobil products because Smart recommends them. Probably RP is gonna be find in the Getrag tranny. If there is anything detrimental to the bearing or gear surfaces they aren't gonna show up over night but more long term. If I remember right it has been said on the forum that the transmission oil was not meant to be changed and would be good for the life of the vehicle. Others swear they would change theirs regardless of what Getrag recommended for their transmissions. I have 53,000 miles on my Fortwo and have not changed the transmission oil. But I have developed an axle seal leaking and have bought Mobil 1 gear oil to top it back off when I replace the seal. DCO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts