Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Cargo tracking only applies to cars arriving at the Port of Baltimore via WWL ships. smarts also land at Jacksonville, Florida and Long Beach, California via different carriers. Tracking for these ports has not yet been located.

Whenever you get the VIN number of your purchase, you can track its shipment here http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Choose Auto Cargo and enter your smart's VIN. If you click on the ship's Voyage number it shows the ETA's for its ports-of-call. Try this Canadian VIN for a test WMEEJ31XX8K076892.

I notice that the ships call at Halifax, Canada, Port of Baltimore, and a couple of ports on the Eastern Seaboard, transit the Panama Canal and then call at Port Hueneme, CA before going to Portland, OR and Seattle, WA.

Its unknown if West Coast cars will be sent by rail from Maryland or come around via the canal.

UPDATE:

Here are some USA spec smart VINs from the LA Auto Show. They all work.

WMEEJ31X68K027284 blue passion
WMEEK31XX8K027575 red cabrio
WMEEJ31XX8K027529 silver pulse

And here is the track for the passion. Takes about two weeks port to port.

Track By Auto

Cargo Status History

Cargo Id : WMEEJ31X68K027284

Booking Number : DEBRB569991 Bill Number : MEX714BAL02

Vessel: MADAME BUTTERFLY Port of origin : BREMERHAVEN

Voyage : EX714-MBU Port of Destination : BALTIMORE, MD
Priority : Customer Ref. Nbr: 0738700163

This information includes the status, status dates, and location of cargoes during transit with WWL and does not indicate availability of cargoes for delivery.

Status Port Time(dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)

DISCHARGED BALTIMORE, MD 10/09/2007 11:00
LOADED ON VESSEL BREMERHAVEN 29/08/2007 11:10
RECEIVED AT TERMINAL BREMERHAVEN 29/08/2007 11:08
BOOKED BREMEN 27/08/2007 14:41

Once you get your vessel name, you can track near real time movements at http://aisfree.aislive.com/Influx.aspx with a free registration. Ships "disappear" off the map mid-Atlantic and show up again in about a week off the North America coast.

Its something to do while you sit and wait for your smart to arrive.

2012 update (from 'keorr', see post #371):
... since the interface appears to have changed. (I see no "Auto Cargo" link, for instance, in my browser - Mac, Safari.)

Schedules Selection

From the link above, choose "Track and Trace" under the "Customer Centre" menu. In the 3rd blank, after the words "Cargo ID" place the VIN#, without "VIN:" of course. Use the "Track" link beneath the "Quick Search" box. ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I assume the office locations for WWL are nearby the points of delivery. I've never had overseas deliveries come through Port Hueneme, more likely Long Beach. The deliveries to Oregan and Washington would probably come through San Fransisco or Portland.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I assume the office locations for WWL are nearby the points of delivery. I've never had overseas deliveries come through Port Hueneme, more likely Long Beach. The deliveries to Oregan and Washington would probably come through San Fransisco or Portland.
Nope. Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships through Port Hueneme and some through Tacoma. I know; I have been in the maritime business for a long time.

Port Hueneme:
Pacific Ro/Ro Stevedoring LLC (805) 986-8400
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics Americas LLC (805) 488-4000
Pacific Vehicle Processors Inc (805) 488-3050
Barwil Agencies (N.A.) Inc. (805) 488-3050

Tacoma:
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics Americas LLC (253) 952-2591

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I assume the office locations for WWL are nearby the points of delivery. I've never had overseas deliveries come through Port Hueneme, more likely Long Beach. The deliveries to Oregon and Washington would probably come through San Fransisco or Portland.
They might, unless Penske uses the hub system WWL has set up and just ships via a couple of ports and rails them overland. Right now all Canadian deliveries are East Coast. And Port Hueneme is one of WWL's largest facilities. Lots of cheap land there to park cars. They also do touch-up and other services there as well before putting them on the road or rail.

Why fewer ports and longer overland hauls?

"Once these companies have acquired others, they no longer want their inbound and outbound operations spread out over many ports," Wang said. "We need to develop hubs which can be offered as possible main hubs for our customers."

...Lower Costs. Since the high-tech hubs lower operations costs for Wallenius Wilhelmsen, the carrier is able to pass some savings onto its customers in the form of lower freight handling charges.

"If the carrier is using fewer ports of call that means they’re using their assets more efficiently, which could bring down the costs to their customers," said Denny Carpenter, vehicle logistics department manager for Ford’s worldwide direct market operations based in Allen Park, Mich.
You can find out why they ship autos to just a few locations here...
http://www.americanshipper.com/paid/MAY01/wallenius_wilhelmsen.asp

·
Registered
522 Posts
Whenever you get the VIN number of your purchase, you can track its shipment here http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Choose Auto Cargo and enter your smart's VIN. If you click on the ship's Voyage number it shows the ETA's for its ports-of-call. Try this Canadian VIN for a test WMEEJ31XX8K076892.
That Canadian smartie is off-loading today. For some lucky Canadian!:D Thanks for spreading the info. Hopefully, we will get VINs to track.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried it on a VIN from a North American spec smart at the auto show. It worked, here's what I got.

Cargo Status History
Wallenius Wilhelmsen
Cargo Id : WMEEJ31X68K027284

Booking Number : DEBRB569991 Bill Number : MEX714BAL02
Vessel: MADAME BUTTERFLY Port of origin : BREMERHAVEN
Voyage : EX714-MBU Port of Destination : BALTIMORE, MD
Priority : Customer Ref. Nbr: 0738700163

This information includes the status, status dates, and location of cargoes during transit with WWL and does not indicate availability of cargoes for delivery.

Status Port Time (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)

DISCHARGED BALTIMORE, MD 10/09/2007 11:00
LOADED ON VESSEL BREMERHAVEN 29/08/2007 11:10
RECEIVED AT TERMINAL BREMERHAVEN 29/08/2007 11:08
BOOKED BREMEN 27/08/2007 14:41

·
Registered
39 Posts
shipping time

hmm...roughly two weeks. I would suspect that they are loading them shortly. Awesome if we can track them

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
reservation # vs location in country

They might, unless Penske uses the hub system WWL has set up and just ships via a couple of ports and rails them overland. Right now all Canadian deliveries are East Coast. And Port Hueneme is one of WWL's largest facilities. Lots of cheap land there to park cars. They also do touch-up and other services there as well before putting them on the road or rail.

Why fewer ports and longer overland hauls?

You can find out why they ship autos to just a few locations here...
http://www.americanshipper.com/paid/MAY01/wallenius_wilhelmsen.asp
Dickey...
You are one number before me but depending on how things get transported and how the dealer handles things, I may get my car before you due to shipping locations, etc. I will let you know (or you let me know) when the next step has occurred, OK?
Damn this is getting exciting!!!! :D:D:D
The suspense is killling me!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just took my S-2000 to store it today for the upcoming Winter season :( So now I must use the Taurus until the Smart arrives and winds up in my garage ready to go.

I really can't wait as THIS waiting has gone on for me for about a year now.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Wwl

It is. All Daimler automotive products are moved by Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics/Wallenius Lines.
Fish...
Must be they take exceptional care of shipping MB autos and that reputation counts for something...fewer touched up cars and damage done enroute.
That counts for something then...getting a car that doesn't have to be touched up by the dealership body shop.
Obviously the way most people would like to get their cars.

John

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I don't have the time to break it out here-and-now (I'm on for making supper tonight!), but WWL has recently opened a very sophistocated and comprehensive facility at Dundalk (Baltimore), MD to deal with any shipment issues before the cars are released to the consignee. Daimler has been involved with WLL for a long time now.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I don't have the time to break it out here-and-now (I'm on for making supper tonight!), but WWL has recently opened a very sophistocated and comprehensive facility at Dundalk (Baltimore), MD to deal with any shipment issues before the cars are released to the consignee. Daimler has been involved with WLL for a long time now.
OK, I'm away from the stove for a bit, so here 'tis: http://www.2wglobal.com/www/newsFeatures/newsShowPages/show_wwwnews.jsp?oid=16420&newsRepository=wwwnews

1 - 20 of 373 Posts