Smart Car of America Forum banner

361 - 373 of 373 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
okay i have a vin. # now.. yaaaa.. okay so i found the web site. now what? i put my vin # in all of the spaces. it will not come up.

my vin # is WMEEK31XX9K296564

can any one find it.

:)
Your car must come via the West Coast: for some reason, there is no way to track vehicles shipped to the West Coast... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
humm,

go figure. oh well. thanks for checking. at least i know it is on it's way and will be at the dealer around july 14th.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i got it to work finally. my car is going to arrive in Baltimore MD on the 22nd of june that is the ETA the ship is the Pegasus Leader. the dealer said it is due to be there on july 11th.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Does this really need to be a sticky anymore? :confused: Can you still order and configure a smart? I would think they would just match it to one across country and ship it to you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it still possible to track a car shipment using a VIN#? The instructions here tell me to go to the following website, choose "Auto Cargo" and enter your VIN#.

Schedules Selection

But I don't see "Auto Cargo" at this website. I see "Track and Trace." There it lets me enter any of the following:

Booking Number, Bill of Lading Number, Cargo ID, or Customer Reference Number.

I just received my VIN# today, so perhaps I need to be more patient. But entering the VIN in these options resulted in "No Records Found."

Any help available? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,196 Posts
The VIN will work, but only after the car has been received at the shipping port and logged in. Sounds like your car isn't there yet. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you, jwight. You've given useful answers to other questions I've asked, too. You use your valuable time to answer questions like mine above, where I should have waited a little longer to ask.

I experimented again using another person's VIN, and now wish to clarify the instructions for others, since the interface appears to have changed. (I see no "Auto Cargo" link, for instance, in my browser - Mac, Safari.)

Schedules Selection

From the link above, choose "Track and Trace" under the "Customer Centre" menu. In the 3rd blank, after the words "Cargo ID" place the VIN#, without "VIN:" of course. Use the "Track" link beneath the "Quick Search" box.

That seemed to work with another's VIN#. I look forward to seeing my car there soon!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm adding a little extra information from my experience tracking the shipment of my new Smart. Much of this may duplicate what appears elsewhere, and if so, please accept my apologies. My car arrives in port, Baltimore, tomorrow.

I discussed previously how one can track their shipment at the website

Schedules Selection

using one's VIN# under Cargo ID. That will reveal the Bill of Lading number, the Booking number, the ship's name, the Voyage number, the loading port name, the port of discharge, and the expected time of arrival. I had no difficulty learning more about the ship, including photos, and even YouTube videos through Google. I found more details of the voyage here.

Sailing Schedules | Worldwide Shipping Schedules | Maritime News | JOC Sailings

Using the following website and the information gained above, such as the ship name and Voyage number,

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

I was able to track it from Brenthaven, Germany past Southampton, England. This uses land based facilities to track, and lost the ship shortly after it left Southampton.

I tracked it across the Atlantic using this website, which updates every day or two.

Ships at sea: positions and weather observations

Once it entered Chesapeake Bay I could follow it more closely, once again, at the marinetraffic.com website. I'll be curious as to whether I can find some live videos of the ship in dock tomorrow. (I won't be reporting further on this.)

The following website was useful:

How-To: Follow a new BMW from Order, to Shipping and to Delivery

Should you bother with this, expect your friends to joke about sinking ships, cargo falling into the Atlantic, etc.

I have neither found nor heard of any means to track the car's delivery route on land. I hope someone else gains some enjoyment from these notes!

361 - 373 of 373 Posts