Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate is the 500lbs cargo weight limit? What happens if you exceed this? I had to haul boxes of tile the other day. I put one on a scale and then figured how many I could put in the car. Had to make two trips since the total weight was 603lbs. (+-) plus my weight.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I had the same question, so I loaded up my car with about 620 lbs of passenger weight. It went just fine. It stays in a lower gear longer, but it adapts to the load intelligently. I don't know about the weight limit of the engine cover though. Loading it down with an extra full-size passenger makes the suspension and drivetrain respond like any other car with a full cargo load: slower takeoff (just give it more gas) and braking (brake earlier).
So, in short, it was fine for short trips but I wouldn't exceed the limit on a regular basis. An extra 300 lbs in a car this light is like adding 600 lbs of bricks to your average sedan.

In your case, 600 lbs of cargo plus the driver would be a total weight of about 750-850 lbs... I think the engine and transmission can handle it, but it may test the stability.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
My wife and I exceed the limit when we're riding together... Yes I'm a biggun... and so far no issues other than a slight shimmy on the wheels when we're doing over 70mph and a little loss in MPG.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
That goes double for what Wdhitch said. We always have 2 people in the car and max it out consistently. I feel no shimmies on my smart but I am used to driving cars you can feel so pretty much any shake rattle or roll and shimmy I tend not to notice.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Seem to get a back and forth motion on the steering wheel at interstate speed... sometimes it flattens out... thought it had to do with the tires warming up.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Seem to get a back and forth motion on the steering wheel at interstate speed... sometimes it flattens out... thought it had to do with the tires warming up.
Ahhh, I see. I have my psi in the tires bumped up to 40psi all the way around. Stiffens things up though I feel a lot more of the road, doesn't bother me, like I said I'm used to it.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Ahhh, I see. I have my psi in the tires bumped up to 40psi all the way around. Stiffens things up though I feel a lot more of the road, doesn't bother me, like I said I'm used to it.
Best piece of info I've read here yet... Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts