Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Hope I’m posting this in the right section!😅 Bought 3 weeks ago an all black EQ 2018. Her name is Blackie! It’s my first Smart and my first electric car. Love her so much. But……

Is there a way to have CarPlay in the original Smart Media System? I don’t think a dongle will work since Smart got their own OS. And changing the console is just too expensive for me. Both Pioneer and Alpine starts at 700$+ used, plus I will need it to get installed for like 300$! Is there a way to hack/jailbreak the OS? Or an integration kit of some sort not too hard to install myself?? Thanx in advance for your answers🙏🏻

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
Hello! Hope I’m posting this in the right section!😅 Bought 3 weeks ago an all black EQ 2018. Her name is Blackie! It’s my first Smart and my first electric car. Love her so much. But……

Is there a way to have CarPlay in the original Smart Media System? I don’t think a dongle will work since Smart got their own OS. And changing the console is just too expensive for me. Both Pioneer and Alpine starts at 700$+ used, plus I will need it to get installed for like 300$! Is there a way to hack/jailbreak the OS? Or an integration kit of some sort not too hard to install myself?? Thanx in advance for your answers🙏🏻
No you have posted in the wrong sub forum, but the moderators can move these postings. You want to be in the technical/ 453/ smart modifications / audio & video section:

Audio & Video
Go there and read what others have done, should be do-able for the price point you are looking for, if you are willing to diy.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

Welcome to the forum here.

The answer is most likely NO. Nothing you can add, or reprogram the Existing radio software. You best bet, is go to Crutchfield Audio, Buy a new head unit. Crutchfied supplies Comprehensive instructions, on how to install their automotive sound systems.

You could look into a salvage radio with those features, from a smart car European Vehicle.

Just use your Apple phone to play tunes via USB.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
171 Posts
I have a 2017, but not the TomTom radio. My understanding is you have (or can have) Android Auto active, but no carplay support. There are several Android Auto radio options, from $200 to $500, that support carplay, but most don't work with the JBL package. Check this thread: Android head unit to replace stock radio with JBL for....

Easier to change your phone, I like my Pixel. Or, just get a dashboard phone holder and connect via bluetooth and use the phone. Apple requires all sorts of licensing for Carplay, vs android being effectively free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts