Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the Atlanta heat building up, I participate in frequent carpools where I wait for 10-45 minutes with AC and my question is whether I should (P)ark or (N)eutral with Parking Brake ?

I can't seem to discriminate a difference in current draw. Can't tell whether the VFD is "engaged" or fully E-Stopped in Neutral. It is more convenient to be in neutral as we have to move up in line periodically.

Park causes stress on the parking pin because we're on a hill and since using the parking brake to avert this is only partially effective given the complexity of doing it in the right order every time you have to move.. I usually just Neutral / Parking brake it, and pop into D to crawl if we're not coasting down the hill.

I've noticed that even with foot on the brake in D, there is some slight activity precursor to the crawl. I can hear the VFD controller singing. Besides, the brake lights are on, and any distraction could result in disaster.

Since I HAVE to run the AC, what is the best practice for this situation?

So far I have been QUITE PLEASED with the current draw of the AC - perhaps 1 or 2 percent loss in 30 minutes. - I'm wondering the long term effect of saving the VFD and minimizing strain on the battery.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Power to the motor is turned off in both park and neutral, so it should make no difference. Just don't keep it in drive with the parking brake on: in that case the motor will constantly pull against the brake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts