Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spoke to my rep, Chris Taccetta from Benzel-Busch. I wanted to get a real time update by tele than email which is so very have to discern.

I called his cell, at home. He did not remember I was first on the list, the fact that they would move the 2016 gas for me. I didn't think he would.

Chris said they have a large number of them coming in shortly so the one here and there won't happen.

The dealers that quit, helped distribution in larger quantities than before. Benzel-Busch is a high volume seller of Smart's.

He still doesn't need a deposit, there will be more than enough for me to choose from, however, he noted that everything has to go through M-B, they are the owner of the car.

I will buy a second Smart ED. He suggested the company Swap & ? to either get someone to buy the 2016 gas or lease it.

The caveat is even though I have a rating of 850, M-B might feel than is too much iron for one person and represents a risk so there is a chance of being refused.

The process of approval is instantaneous but to find a person, that person would have to be vetted and the process will take 30 days.

Either way, I'm confident everything will work out for the best.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
They should have no problem letting you keep the gas smart until the end of the lease term agreement, and letting you get the ED, because you already completed payments on the lease! (Already proved you could afford it.).

The question is what you want to do with the gas one when you get the ED? You have the option to buy the gas car. If you exercise that option you are free to immediately sell it. If you find a buyer and the price is right, you could move the car to someone else, and possibly gain back some of the loss of disposing the car early. You are losing the utility of the term and mileage still left on the lease, I think it's called "opportunity cost". Another thing is I recall the return charge is higher than the purchase charge. Like I mentioned before, the dealerships usually make money on transactions that go through them, as opposed to dealing only with Mercedes for the purchase.

Whatever you do, do not return the gas car to the dealership, and then buy it from them!.....

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the great advice.

All you said makes sense. I was wowed bu the early turn in fee.

Chris said he didn't understand why M-B would tell me that Benzel-Busch could help me. He explained that they, even if they could, not take the car back.

He further explained that the car belongs to M-B. No one but M-B can do anything because they own the car.

Chris said if the financials go through ever at 850, MB might feel there is too much mone out for an individual. I guess all sorts of things come up. I could rent it out, etc.

I really won't mind keeping the gas. If there was the huge increase in performance I was expecting I would feel different.

What the horror is, when I took the car for inspection, the manager hated Smart's. I ended up in the bay holding the hood up to prevent them from scratching while listening to one of them say you can't be in here. I finally got out with no damage.

Thank you again for the positive advice.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What Chris said is somewhat true. M-B does own the car, you are the lessee. Once you leased it ownership transferred from Benzel-Busch to the leasing company, in this case M-B. But you would return the car to a M-B dealer such as Benzel-Busch at the end of the lease. Chris may not be in a position to handle a lease return. It will most likely be someone else at the dealership. I'm sure Benzel-Busch would prefer you to return at their dealership because while you are there they have the opportunity to sell or lease you something else....

I hope you can go and get back the turn in fee. That is not right. If I recall correctly the dealership might not be near you, but they can easily send a check. I got a wheel and tire protection warranty refunded by the dealer all through the mail....

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question popped up.

Someone noticed what seemed to be a fraudulent fee as well. I don't know. He said I should have gotten it back by now.

Chris kind of stammered when I said, I am sure B-B will waive the return fee, already paid.

Closest dealership is six hours away, driving legal limits. I thought this was the golden dealership. Chris wrote an email that said B-B would help me move the car or move it somehow. I saved it. When I opened it, it disappeared. He doesn't recall saying it. If I had 600 Smart's in the lot last year in three locations, I would follow the rules.

Chris is bound by the rules of B-B and that job is one you could retire from. Choices of Mercedes, Audi's Honda's, Smart's, to drive home especially if you like new cars.

He suggested advertising on Swap and ?. The problem, the buyer or leasee would have to go through the same credit procedure with M-B everyone does, maybe thirty days.

If I bought the car, it would be a double tax. One for the lease, paid and a new purchase for the DMV in NY, a true nightmare.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When I purchased a new 2016, my '13 lease return fee was returned by MB Financial through the mail. I ended my lease about 3 months early. There was a mileage overage fee which was also returned by MB Financial. Bought from same dealer I leased from.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If I understand correctly, he prepaid the remainder of his lease and was charged the return fee, but still has possession of the car.

I'm no finance manager, but I would have at least removed that for the guy! Actually, I would have advised against prepaying, unless there was some sort of discount, in the first place.

You're not paying tax twice. The tax was on the depreciation for the lease, and now for the value of the purchase. CA has a provision to transfer title within 30 days to a new owner without another fee as I understand. Whenever a company lease end is purchased and paid off, they send a note to us for the name and address to send the title, noting this....

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Recent update. My car is waiting. Same color and package. They sold 30 the first day.

Bad news, all discounts are gone. Looking at mid two hundred's a month.

Chris has his name on the car but my name is not. Unfortunately he is out of town.

I called the dealership and I was initially ticked. However, he is out of town, doesn't know they came in yesterday, so I will have to cut some slack.

I listed the gas 2006 on Swapalease. The price for a remainder of a three year lease is 6500$, paid to me. There are 2 years and six months remaining at that price. 2016 gas, 1360.

They have to qualify with MB.

I paid 916$ plus 6594.30 plus rent charge ? 684.29$, plus two payments @ 177.22$ a month which includes return to dealer fee.

Total of 8549.03. The rep at Swaplease, 200$, was great. He told me to hold on to 6500$.

Warranty and all perks transferable.

EN2 cool silver
EAZ arctic white body panels
ICL passion upholstery
R86 15 " wheels
All standard equipment including air and cruise. Bluetooth.

Does this sound appealing and is it priced right. I followed the advice of the rep.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Glad you found that site. Having never gotten rid of a lease early, I didn't know about it. Better than trying to buy it out and then sell it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts