Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
No personal experience with Carvana, however, having had two Smarts totaled in the past two months (grrrr.....) I've done a lot of shopping recently to replace both. Carvana up here in Atlanta had some striking deals on low mileage Smarts, mostly Pures, but no cabrios.

Carvana reviews were good, but even though they have a local storage lot, buyers are not permitted to go there to see, feel and touch the cars. They bring them to you on a flatbed. If they'd had a cabrio in stock, I might have considered it, however, on both purchases (a hardtop and a cabrio) I was able to find better deals by scouring Autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, Ebay, and even asking here on the SCOA forum. You have to be prepared to spend a few hours searching, asking for additional or larger format photos, and studying those Carfax reports carefully, running your own, if need be. (BTW, here is a free one similar to CarFax: www.vehiclehistory.com )

I happened to notice from a car report that a dealer had had a Smart in inventory since 07/16. I called and chatted him up about the car, including "why have you had it so long" (he gave a perfectly reasonable answer) and "how anxious are you to get rid of it". "Very" he replied and named me a staggeringly low price. I booked my flight as soon as I got off the phone with him.

And, after your research and phone time, be prepared to fly somewhere with a pocketful of cash and drive one home.

My son-in-law wouldn't consider it, so he ended up with a nice deal I found him on a hardtop, but will probably **** himself when he sees I put in a flight and seven hour drive and got a cabrio for what he paid.

It's not the method for everyone, but we've bought three Smarts long distance, including one each via Ebay, private seller, and used car dealer, and have had awesome luck finding clean, low mileage, reliable Smarts after putting in a shedload of online research.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought my 2013 through Carvana, Couldn't have been happier with the experience. They bring you the car on a flatbed, and you have an opportunity to test drive, and look things over before taking delivery. After that you have 7 days to return the car, with no charge. It went fast and easy, even with our trade in and financing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I purchased my 2014 Toyota from Carvana. I had originally ordered a Leaf, but changed my mind and cancelled that order and ordered the Toyota instead.
The entire experience was very positive, start to finish. The car was delivered to my home via Carvana flatbed. The delivery process was smooth. The car was spotless, and they even taped a $25 visa gift card inside my fuel door that i discovered when i had to refill the tank(they delivered it with a full tank of gas BTW) They give you 7 days to test the car and follow up by phone and email in case you are not satisfied, in which case they will pick up the car and refund your money.
One thing i REALLY liked was no dealer fees. That extra 2-3-400 or more the dealer likes to tack on for "processing". The only fees i paid were state required fees for the title and registration. That's it.
I would absolutely buy form them again.
I have had the car for 6 months now and i love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No personal experience with Carvana, however, having had two Smarts totaled in the past two months (grrrr.....) I've done a lot of shopping recently to replace both. Carvana up here in Atlanta had some striking deals on low mileage Smarts, mostly Pures, but no cabrios.

Carvana reviews were good, but even though they have a local storage lot, buyers are not permitted to go there to see, feel and touch the cars. They bring them to you on a flatbed. If they'd had a cabrio in stock, I might have considered it, however, on both purchases (a hardtop and a cabrio) I was able to find better deals by scouring Autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, Ebay, and even asking here on the SCOA forum. You have to be prepared to spend a few hours searching, asking for additional or larger format photos, and studying those Carfax reports carefully, running your own, if need be. (BTW, here is a free one similar to CarFax: www.vehiclehistory.com )

I happened to notice from a car report that a dealer had had a Smart in inventory since 07/16. I called and chatted him up about the car, including "why have you had it so long" (he gave a perfectly reasonable answer) and "how anxious are you to get rid of it". "Very" he replied and named me a staggeringly low price. I booked my flight as soon as I got off the phone with him.

And, after your research and phone time, be prepared to fly somewhere with a pocketful of cash and drive one home.

My son-in-law wouldn't consider it, so he ended up with a nice deal I found him on a hardtop, but will probably **** himself when he sees I put in a flight and seven hour drive and got a cabrio for what he paid.

It's not the method for everyone, but we've bought three Smarts long distance, including one each via Ebay, private seller, and used car dealer, and have had awesome luck finding clean, low mileage, reliable Smarts after putting in a shedload of online research.
Great stuff. As you say, thorough research is key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Atlanta is going to be a great market for Smarts in the near future. All the CARS2GO Smarts ended up down here. So long story short, you're going to see a lot of Smarts for sale with less than 10,000 miles on them and still under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Atlanta is going to be a great market for Smarts in the near future. All the CARS2GO Smarts ended up down here. So long story short, you're going to see a lot of Smarts for sale with less than 10,000 miles on them and still under warranty.
Including 2016s and 2017s?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe in a few years. The new models are just beginning their rotation and they will probably stay there for another two to three years.

Also, there are fewer of them. Mercedes is diversifying the CAR2GO fleet with more four door Benzes.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts