Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine malfunction indicator light came on today it came on before and all it was was i needed to tighten my gas cap so i tried that did not make it go off i then later realized that when i started my smart that my catalytic converter didnt engage like it always does. will this make that lamp on my dash come on? And is it dangerous to me or my car to drive it if the converter isnt working ?
if you can answer my questions i would appreciate it thanks becky

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Could you describe what it looks like? I think there may be a chance you might have gotten the name mixed up with something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i drove it around and it has good power nothing sounds bad, sounds just like it always does but i dont hear the catalytic converter like i always do for the first 20 seconds after its first started

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Most any auto parts store will read the computer on your car which will give a code. It will point you in the right direction to give you an idea of what is wrong, if anything.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Remember, the people at the auto parts stores most of the time aren't technicians. If anything, I'd get the code and post it here first. MOST OF THE TIME if it is happening to your car, it has already happened to one of our cars here.

After that, you may have to take it to a repair facility.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You may not always hear it, depending on conditions and outside temp. If the outside temp is below 34 degrees, whether your car has been driven or has been setting for hours, it may not come on. I have had the same thing happen to me various times and this is what the techs at Smart/Mercedes Benz told me.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
...just a hunch..P0410..

jetfuel...BTDTFT
Great minds think alike. The ONE time I threw a code and had to replace a part on my car, same thing on my dad's smart as well as several local club members.

rebecca - what year is your car and how many miles on it?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Pretty sure what you're talking about is the secondary air injection system (a preheater for the catalytic converter), not the catalytic converter itself. :wink:

If that's what the check engine light is about, then there won't be any problems with driving it, just worse emissions performance until it gets warmed up. Still, best to get it checked out quickly as others have suggested, since you effectively don't have a check engine light until it's fixed...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts