Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day after I bought my 2016 Smart Passion, the check engine light came on shortly after starting the car at work to head home. It stayed on constantly for a few days then cleared for a few hours. The dealer has looked at the car, read the code and reset it. The code was for gross leakage on canister system (or something to that effect). They are not sure what the problem is, but tell me that I'm not the only one who has reported this issue to smart. They are working with a regional rep to see what the next course of action is... as they are somewhat baffled by the fact that the condition will clear for a day or two before reappearing. Anyone else had something similar?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Haven't heard of canister issues yet, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Here in Cali, many of our fuel nozzles are reaching the auto-shutoff point, only for drivers to hop in their cars and drive a few miles only to discover their fuel gauge is missing a bar or two.

Either the fuel level sending units are out of calibration, the fuel filler nozzles are having issues with the fuel tank and neck design of the smart 453's, or the tanks are tiny tiny tiny. For the canister to be leaking is most likely to suggest overfilling, which may be occurring at certain fuel stations as some nozzles are designed a little differently than others.

Eventually a definitive answer will be discovered. Can't pin the blame on any specific party just yet...

·
Registered
17 Posts
It will help if it is possible to post the actual OBD code. is it the P0455 or P0442.

I am surprised the dealer said that they don't know the cause but they also told you that others have the same issue and it is being reported to smart. That is an oxymoron and I am sure you are dealing with the brightest service writers at your dealership.

These guys should be able to diagnose it in a heartbeat, evap issues are relatively easy to diagnose and fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will help if it is possible to post the actual OBD code. is it the P0455 or P0442.

I am surprised the dealer said that they don't know the cause but they also told you that others have the same issue and it is being reported to smart. That is an oxymoron and I am sure you are dealing with the brightest service writers at your dealership.

These guys should be able to diagnose it in a heartbeat, evap issues are relatively easy to diagnose and fix.
My scanner reads the code as P04F0. They think it is a software issue. This code has survived a number of fill ups. Hard to tell if I'm overfilling as the tank doesn't really hold that much... and the light stays lit all the time (not just following a fill-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seen this code late model mercedes ML's and GL's. The cause is due to the purge valve in the evap system ingesting gasoline, in an overfill situation. Replacing the purge valve and the vent tube has eliminated this code on these vehicles. Probably smart is looking into a solution where a redesigned vent tube and a purge valve can be offered under a TSB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts