Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
That's the problem with us old guys, We have so many more funny experiences to draw from.
PUT THE CANDLE BACK!
Frau Blucher, any one? Headless perhaps?
Now back to our regularly scheduled CEL and trouble code programming. :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
CEL popped up on me for the first time ever.
Code P2188 running too rich
Scangauge couldn't clear it, had to go to the dealer.
I'm at only 44,8k miles and iridium plugs were installed only 14k miles ago.
What causes it? How do i prevent it from returning?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
AFE pro filter (blue one) that's been in for a coupla months now?
Before that it was a K&N that got cleaned and K&N recharge oiled every year.
-nothing broken at the 40k service 4k miles ago.:huh:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I've been reading on the internet about Mass Air Flow sensors being affected by oiled filters. Smart uses a Mass Absolute Pressure sensor which is NOT a hot wire sensor that might be affected by oil.
Unless the port leading to the pressure chamber gets gunked up, it should not be affected by oil film.

Here is an excellent description of how a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor works:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/map_sensors.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Code 2188 MAP Sensor, Where to buy

I keep getting this code 2188. If the MAP sensor is bad, where can I get one? Is there a way to test it first?

Went to local mechanic twice and the dealer once. Dealer charged me 200$ and didn't do a damn thing. Local mechanic cleared the code for nothing.

It happens about once a week now.

I bought my own code reader. I checked on the net, nobady has the part and the pics on evilution don't help on locating it on the engine.

So, have a good idea what is wrong but can't find it or buy it.

·
Super Moderator
28,843 Posts
I keep getting this code 2188. If the MAP sensor is bad, where can I get one? Is there a way to test it first?

Went to local mechanic twice and the dealer once. Dealer charged me 200$ and didn't do a damn thing. Local mechanic cleared the code for nothing.

It happens about once a week now.

I bought my own code reader. I checked on the net, nobady has the part and the pics on evilution don't help on locating it on the engine.

So, have a good idea what is wrong but can't find it or buy it.
Could be the MAP, but maybe a few other things as well:

Might also be caused by overfilling the fuel tank and saturating the evap canister: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/cel-code-p2188-42987/ (post #6) :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Could be the MAP, but maybe a few other things as well: 2008 Smart Car Check Engine Light P2188 Code - YouTube

Might also be caused by overfilling the fuel tank and saturating the evap canister: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/cel-code-p2188-42987/ (post #6) :)
The man may not be a idiot but he certainly does not know what he is talking about. He does not know how the system works, what the proper parts functions are or how to properly diagnose it. He is right about the engine being a big air pump, but that is about all.

Amazing. Just amazing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Code P2188 cleared with scangauge2

I always try to clear this code with engine running,it doesn't work.I go to Scangauge web site FAQ section and it reminds me not all codes clear with engine running.Some codes clear with ignition key in on position(Without engine running) ,then use scangauge to clear code.This has worked for me the 3 times I have had the p2188 code in the past 20,000 miles.2008 smart has 48,000miles on the odometer,Hope this works for anyone who trying to clear this code.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this happen to my 2008 Smart also. I replaced stock air filter with a K&N filter as well as a direct air intake hose and outside scoop. I did not oil the K&N filter. Sometime later the engine light came on. I had it checked and everything checks out okay. I spoke with a Mercedes shop and they said they have found that on Mercedes cars when a stock air cleaner is replaced with another type as K & N, the sensor gives a fake reading. I changed back to the original air filter, but the engine light remain activated. I have now had it shut off and we'll see if it stays off. Scanning the internet on this issue I did find one guy who had the P2188 problem and after going through a lot of checks it was discovered that his air filter was not seated completely, allowing some air to bypass the filter. Placing it in correctly solved his problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CEL still comes back

Did anyone ever get a response to this? There seem to be some ambiguous responses and I dont want to have to go to the stealership to get this checked out. Im throwing a p2188 and have reset it a few times and it always comes back within a week. I changed the air filter and spark plugs as the cheapest first steps but no success.

That smart video for p2188 that lingers says it could be a
1) throttle valve actuator
2) air leak on intake or exhaust side
3) oxygen sensor
4) injection valve
5) intake air temperature sensore
6) coolant temp sensor

Is there a logical next step I can take in diagnosing or is one of the options a higher probability over the others?

I also dont know if it helps but upon cold start the engine immediately revs to 3k rpms and then drops down to idle.

thanks SCOA

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm having the recurring P2188 error on my 2008 Passion. First repair was an inline filter or valve ($300+). It came back. I needed to pass an emissionscheck, so the light had to be off and code cleared. $1200+ later I passed e-check only because the e-check station was right across the street from the dealership. Within a week, the CEL and P2188 weree back. Before I have to go for my next e-check I need to get this fixed, but I can't keep spending this kind of money. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I'm having the recurring P2188 error on my 2008 Passion. First repair was an inline filter or valve ($300+). It came back. I needed to pass an emissionscheck, so the light had to be off and code cleared. $1200+ later I passed e-check only because the e-check station was right across the street from the dealership. Within a week, the CEL and P2188 weree back. Before I have to go for my next e-check I need to get this fixed, but I can't keep spending this kind of money. Any ideas?
2008 Smart Car Check Engine Light P2188 Code | How To Make & Do Everything!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts