Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Some good news. . . as I prowled around a couple of the discussions on the P2188 error, someone mentioned they turned their key to ON but did not start the engine and then hit the scan codes/clear codes on the ScanGauge. That worked for me. Cleared the code again. It might have been a phantom. When I looked back at the dealer invoices I saw they had said they told me the code could come back. They did, but they also said there were other things they might have to do if it did. I wonder of one of those was to turn the key to ON and clear the code.

·
Registered
97 Posts
P2188 Code & $1,750 to repair!! Am I being taken to dry cleaning?

Hello everyone,

We have our 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion @ 88K. The engine light come on and the code was P2188. We took it to the dealership. Here listed below from the dealership:

Dealership: We have diagnosed the issue-The fault that is present now is a RICH fuel trim fault rather than the LEAN fuel trim fault that was present before. There is a ventilation system for the engine that allows oily vapors to be recycled & burned by the engine-sometimes this system can fail & allow too much oily vapor through to an area it shouldn't, causing damage to sensors. There is a sensor called a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP) that has failed from excess exposure to oil-we need to lower the rear subframe of your Smart to access the sensor & ventilation system to replace all of it. The total cost for diagnosis, parts/labor & tax is $1750.00. We don't have all the parts in stock now & can order them to hopefully have them all here in the next day or two.

--
Dealership: If you don't perform the work, the failing sensor will keep telling the engine control unit to use more fuel which will lower your fuel economy & may end up causing driveability issues in the future. Too much fuel delivered by the fuel injectors can saturate the spark plugs with fuel causing misfires, too little fuel can cause higher engine temperature causing engine damage.

--
Now, my question to you all. Does that sound reasonable to repair it for $1,750? :shrug: We are tight with our $$. Is that something we can ignore for many more miles later? Are they trying to take us to dry cleaning? Any recommendation of repair shop in Indianapolis that can do this type of service at lower price? Or should we dump this car and get a newer used Smart Fortwo?

--

41 - 43 of 43 Posts