Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered this one but, because of the manual transmission, it doesn't fit in front. I could put it in the rear cupholder just to hold my phone, but that doesn't seem like it makes sense:

IMAG8656.jpg

If you have the automatic, I think it would work nicely.

So, I am thinking of getting this one instead though I worry it will look ungainly:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think pretty much the only options that wouldn't look horrible are Smart's own phone dock, a windshield dock, or one of those that are attached by one of the bolts that hold your seat to the floor. Cupholder phone holders just don't really seem work in the 453.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks interesting my only concern is gluing something to the dash.

I think the OEM holder is very ugly I refuse to use it.

I also have an iPod Classic that does fit in the right cup holder but were a beverage from the left side to spill it would destroy it.

It's too bad that the one I bought wasn't just a hair taller...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I think pretty much the only options that wouldn't look horrible are Smart's own phone dock, a windshield dock, or one of those that are attached by one of the bolts that hold your seat to the floor. Cupholder phone holders just don't really seem work in the 453.
Cups don't seem to work in the 453, especially on manual transmissions, front holders cups interfere with shifting and rear you have to hunt for the holder,not good while driving. I end up putting my water bottle in the side pocket in the door.

I find the OEM phone holder works well for my phone though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I took the phone holder off to move it after a month (I had put it on crooked and the OCD part of me couldn't stand it any longer) and it came off cleanly with no marks. I used a strong double-sided tape this time and, again, I'm not worried.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm exchanging the one I bought for the other one. I'll try this one out... depending upon the design I may be able to shorten it.

The only thing that fits in the cupholders okay is a Perrier bottle or a tapered stainless steel mug I have.

I usually throw my cell in the door panel but when using Waze or my iPod something better would be nice.

It's too bad... if I had a 3D printer I'd make a better piece.

I'm going to get something like this to stick on the side of the transmission tunnel to put my iPod in.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only issue I see is getting grip. In the cup holder I think it would sway or tip over.

A little shelf under the parking brake would be great.

Again, I think whomever designed the trim pieces did a sh!t job trying to carve out storage spaces.

The taller cell phone holder shows up this week I'll post pics.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what I bought looks pretty bad.

However, I will use the cell phone holder part along with TAP plastics to make a new, low profile cup holder that should work perfectly.

I hope to have it done by Monday... will post pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts