Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody experience this problem using the USB setup in their 2016 smart? My cell phone gets very hot if I plug it into the usb socket the cell phone holder uses whether completely discharged or almost completely charged. It doesn't get this hot using the charger in the house. I'm worried about burning up the battery in my phone if I continue to use this setup. I'm talking almost too hot to touch.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Anybody experience this problem using the USB setup in their 2016 smart? My cell phone gets very hot if I plug it into the usb socket the cell phone holder uses whether completely discharged or almost completely charged. It doesn't get this hot using the charger in the house. I'm worried about burning up the battery in my phone if I continue to use this setup. I'm talking almost too hot to touch.
I haven't had that happen, nor have I heard of it. The only time my phone has ever been "very hot" is if I leave it out in direct sunlight, or the sun is beating on it while I try to charge the phone. Then the phone usually displays a "charging will be delayed until the battery cools off" or something similar to that effect. Are you having any direct sunlight at the same time?

Your phone might also be getting hot while it's in the usb cradle because the display screen might be brightly illuminated since your phone doesn't need to use energy savers while plugged in to the usb charge port.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check your phone settings as well. Check to see what the phone does when it's plugged in. For example if it is using the cpu constantly to try and figure out what to do with the connection, it will warm up quickly.
If it's an android, check your setup. Something like "smart connect" type of app.

When you first plug it in, it should ask what you want it to do with the connection. Try charge only and see if that changes anything.

Try a different charging cord. Also look up the voltage on the USB port if you can, and compare it to the voltage output on the charger that came with your phone. It might be putting out too much juice.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, it only does it while driving, no direct sunlight and only hot by the battery, I have no heat issues with my home charger and I've swapped cables a few times. Even with the phone turned off I still get this problem when plugged into the car.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
M-B could not get the fuel tank right on the first model year cars in Canada and the US, likely this will be another problem to be fixed.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I never knew this. The USB connection, in most modern cars. Charges faster, then your home charger does. I noticed this in our other brand cars. My iPhone batteries get warmer. Even the rental cars we've rented. I went for a ride, in my daughters new Jeep the other day. My battery in my phone was almost dead. We were on the the road, 20 minutes. The phone charge was up to the half way mark, at our destination.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Somebody gave a great suggestion about the charge cable. Some of the aftermarket ones do cause phone/battery heat issues. It's happened to me before with many Sumsung phones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts