Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was take-care-of-the-car day. Inspection, tags, tires balanced, etc...

The guy who pulled my wheels to balance my tires comes in and tells me there is a huge dent in my rear rim. He took me out to the shop and showed me. I know EXACTLY when/where this happened. On the way back from Red Rocks, Denver Nationals 2013.

THEN he comes back in to tell me the front is worse. He brought the front wheel in to show me. I wanted to throw up.

Now I need one front and one rear rim, 2008, as inexpensive as possible.

SOBBBING!! :(

·
17,345 Posts
Are there any wheel repair shops in your area? Depending on the extent of the damage they could be repaired!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Look for alloy wheel repair services but as Neon says there's a limit to what they can do. Can't have been too bad as you've been driving the car since Denver with no issues, right? :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, just a little shimmy that actually just became obvious recently. LOTS of miles since Nationals, including a little side trip from South Texas to the Dragon! I am ashamed it took me this long to take the car for balancing, actually!

·
17,345 Posts
The big "if" is how damaged they really are. All the shops in my area offer free wheel damage appraisals and most repairs range from $50-$100 per wheel. Of course, YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Probably should get it fixed, although it sounds like it could be balanced out. The rims may have hidden faults that even the repair shop may not be able to correct. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm far less upset after researching! THANK YOU NEON!

I found dozens of places nearby that do repairs and refinishing! I didn't know they could be fixed! :D

·
17,345 Posts
At least you now have a start! :)

I'm waiting to do the lease buyout so I can go ape[explicit word] modifying the living daylights out of it.

Less than $200 to get my Genius wheel lips the same colour as my panels. :cool:

Then leather interior, vertical doors, full LED conversion (bye bye HID), audio...oh boy...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Victor, it was an enormous hole in the freeway pavement! I pulled over right away to look if my tire/wheel was damaged, but I didn't see anything. That's because the damage was on the INSIDE of the rims!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Consider yourself lucky.

I had a customer that bought a 2010 Brabus and went through 7 (yes you read that right SEVEN) CRACKED BRABUS rims in less than a year, thanks to DC potholes.

Finally just switched out to PURE steelies, kinda funny to see those on a Brabus badged smart, but they cost alot less.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You were lucky they were just bent. A body shop in my area showed me a front with pothole damage that was completely despoked. Two separate pieces.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Potholes and Mexican topes (speed bumps) are good reasons to avoid using any rims that require low profile tires. Even with the 15 inch stock rims, we often slam into these unmarked hazards at speed. Your smart needs all the padding it can get, as the suspension has limited travel.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just for general knowledge, most pothole damaged alloy wheels that will still hold air can be repaired if not cracked. If it is bent to the point it will not seal with the tire it is probably not repairable. The wheels usually bend on the inner rim edge because there is less support from the wheel spokes than exists on the outer rim edge.

Also, there are extended warranties that are available for road hazard wheel and tire damage. They are generally sold by the finance manager at the dealer when the car is purchased and I do not know whether they can be purchased after the fact like a mechanical breakdown warranty.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I've had alloy wheels fixed, with minor scratches. One day service. A pot hole, could have put a good dent in a wheel anywhere. My wheel were polished, and clear coated too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wife hit a pothole last year and bent the outer lip on a rear rim. Two shops refused to try and fix it (liability issues I suspect). Not one to give up without a fight, I dismounted the tire and a couple of hours later with the help of a bottle jack, some hardwood blocks and a big lead hammer it was straight again. It is really surprising how badly they can be bent and still not leak air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts