Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do we need a Central Texas Chapter on SCOA Forums?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let's see if this thread title gets more response. Do we need our own central Texas chapter? Round Rock, Austin, Georgetown, Pflugerville? Well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well we have several cars in The Belton, Temple Texas area. I am sure some would be interested in a club, I know I would.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, let's see if this thread title gets more response. Do we need our own central Texas chapter? Round Rock, Austin, Georgetown, Pflugerville? Well?
As of this writing, the poll is closed so I can't officially vote. But I do believe the area should have a Smart Car Club. Just need to assemble a varied mix of activities.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm also all for a CenTex chapter. I need smart people to do smart things with.

We're having another meeting in early September. Eddie.Vandermark has posted a thread with all of the pertinent info. Please come out and join us if you can! All input is welcome!

·
Registered
35 Posts
well i have a 'car club' and its for custom show cars and trucks. i would be interested in having everyone join....but i like having people around who have custom cars...i mean some paint or body or wheels or stereo mods would be cool. but i do it for the shows...last show ' heatwave' no one was there. i guess what i'm getting at is that i want custom cars in the club, i'm not to fond of just a social gathering club. to me thats kinda lame. i hope i dont ruffle anyones feathers but if you look at the number of people who look at the postings and just read them but not reply...the numbers are preety high. if there are that many people watching the posts but not posting ...you gota wander what kind of a following your asking for?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think, mycavs00n04, that making the club open to people who customize their cars in some way is exceptionally limiting. The smart community is small enough that if you place further restrictions you're making it even harder to find people who are interested. Perhaps the people who are very into modifying their smarts could have a sub-chapter of the club. That way, they can tinker with their cars together, but still have an opportunity to do social or community service projects together with the whole club, if they're so inclined. I don't have the expertise or finances or interest, quite frankly, to work on Ruby, but I'd hate to miss the chance to know other smart owners, as all of my real world friends are getting rather bored at how in love with her I am.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i will try to meet up with everyone at the next meet to discuss this. i think a large club is a good thing. we could do sub-club stuff if need be. just let me know when it is.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lexie, come on by, the more the better. As it is, we are planning to have monthly meets (on the first saturday on the month) to discuss/plan for our quarterly fun events/rallies. We also would like to do a charity event annually. I hope to see you and your friends there!

mycavs00n04, Im all for seeing some custom smarts join us. I would be right there by your side with customizing Bruno, however, being laid off and jobless for some time now, has put a huge damper into that. I think having a sub-club is a great idea, whether it be, custom exteriors, interiors, performance, sound system or whatever. Also, just because you become a member of the CenTex smart club does not prevent you from joining other customer car clubs. In fact, it just may help us because different clubs could get together for fun activities and not to mention, make charity events HUGE!!!

Also, talks have been brought up regarding a texas wide smart event to be held here in Austin. We are hoping to make this happen soon. I will be meeting with a member from the Dallas/Ft. Worth club next week to discuss some details.

Here is the info for the next meet. Just as an FYI, Septembers meeting will be post-poned one week due to Labor Day Weekend.

Come one, come all!!!

CenTex is having their September meeting postponed for one week due to Labor Day weekend. Here is the info.

Date: Saturday 9/12/09
Time: 6:00pm
Where: Denny's
7619 Ben White Blvd
(this is the Denny's located near the airport)

Hope to see ya'll there!

-Eddie

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would love to attended the smart meet. I have this problem called procrastination and will come up with reasons not to show up. So...when the time comes ride my @$$ and make me go because I really want to.....

Randy

·
Registered
66 Posts
well i have a 'car club' and its for custom show cars and trucks. i would be interested in having everyone join....but i like having people around who have custom cars...i mean some paint or body or wheels or stereo mods would be cool. but i do it for the shows...last show ' heatwave' no one was there. i guess what i'm getting at is that i want custom cars in the club, i'm not to fond of just a social gathering club. to me thats kinda lame. i hope i dont ruffle anyones feathers but if you look at the number of people who look at the postings and just read them but not reply...the numbers are preety high. if there are that many people watching the posts but not posting ...you gota wander what kind of a following your asking for?
Your point is well taken and I agree that a car club is club of cars. People like you and I are über-interested in the hardware, mods, tweaks, 'flash', speed, etc. My wife could care less about those, but is interested in gatherings, tours, etc. So to keep folks attention there must be a balance of car-oriented events and social events. Half-day rallies, wash-and-shine events, monthly meetings, driving events to points of interest, technical discussions by area professionals, local car shows, etc., all have a part to play. As a rule, successful car clubs do not attempt to please everyone all the time, but do attempt to make each event varied and applicable to most people. Even California hot rod clubs have a number of strictly social events on a periodic basis. It’s generally elusive, but once the balance is found, the club will grow.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shark - I will do my best to keep posting reminders of the upcoming meets/events, but, to prevent myself from becoming a pester, I may not be able to completely fulfill your request! LOL!

As far as the other topic, I know full-well that it will be an absolute impossibility to do events that everybody wants to do, however, the goal is to create events that the majority want to do and to keep the events fresh and new to attract everyone else every other time. Since there are a few of you that have been in or are currently in other clubs, give us some ideas of what would be fun meets. I do like the wash and shine, local car shows (I know sun city in g-town does some sort of car show every year), and the rally to a point of interest. I am not sure how the technical (I guess you could call it a car clinic) would work. The only professionals I could think of is the RR Smart Center, and so far, getting them to do anything for the club has been like pulling teeth (and since I am not a dentist, I haven't been very successful at it).

We are having are September meeting (info is on page 1 of this thread) to discuss the first comeback rally/event and to discuss the possibility of doing a state-wide event located here in Austin. If you guys have any ideas that you would like to toss out onto the table, stop on by, or PM me the idea so that I can bring it up.

Hope to see ya'll out there.

-Eddie

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that a wide variety of events are crucial for getting us going and keeping us viable!

I was just thinking the other day how fun it might be at the holidays to caravan around somewhere in our smarties all decorated for the season and go look at Christmas lights somewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
that could be fun....well 'smart dude' what mods do you have on your smart? i have a ton on mine and would like to see what all you have done to yours?

·
Registered
66 Posts
that could be fun....well 'smart dude' what mods do you have on your smart? i have a ton on mine and would like to see what all you have done to yours?
LOL - Surprisingly little as I have been on contract in California for the past 13 months. My Smart has a measly 2,200 miles on it and it's about a year old; haven't been home much to work on it, let alone drive it.

I did paint the calipers/drums for the Georgetown Car Show in June. Also installed the '50-cent mod', DTH version 1, Sprint Booster Power Converter (v2), stubby antenna, chrome wheels, custom leather seat covering over stock seat frames, Pioneer Nav/AM/FM/XM/Blah-Blah in-dash, built-in discrete battery charger cable (necessity with me being gone so long), etc. Will install Lambo doors soon and am watching the turbo kits. Will do a body kit as soon as I decide which one will help me can con the spouse into it. Also want to lower the car. I’ll consider any mod for the Smart except K&N Filters.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will try and be there. I think it will be a great thing. I live and work in Austin during the week and live a 120 miles north on the weekend. I will try to make this. Thnaks for doing all the work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts