The Smart car will be my penance for the conspicuous consumption-- ;>}

Passion Cabrio-- Red/Black--Leather

Confirmation 30 April 07- 8210101XXX

Have not been contacted yet by an authorized dealer yet :>(

·
Registered
16 Posts
nice

Hey man congrats on the reservation. Cool colour combo too! I was thinking about going with the red/black combo as well but i still haven't reserved one yet. I'm not quite sure what I'm waiting for.:confused:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldschool73

Sorry to hear you are waiting....sounds like from the rumor mill here on this forum that there are already way more "reservations" then there will be new 2008 Smarts delivered to the USA..

I happened to be in Germany last April and a nice fellow over there let me drive his...

I was significantly impressed that I started the inquires to import a Euro spec one for my self when a dealer over there told me about this program... I sent my $99 dollars that day....

I fear that even being 43 days after they opened the program on March 19th even I may be too late for a 2008 model...

These are super popular cars now that fuel here is as high as it is and most likely to go higher

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm in South Texas and I just put in my 99 bucks this morning so I'll probably be lucky to see a smart in the driveway sometime before 2010.

It will actually be a weight gain for me because my daily commuter is a 1997 Honda Valkyrie that weighs 850 lbs. and gets between 30 and 40 mpg depending on the angle of my right wrist.

I'm sure the Smart will be safer and much drier in the rain.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SnakeFarm

Re: Smart... Safer...Hummm I wonder

I drive a 80 Cubic Inch Harley FXR or a 7800 pound, 4 door, long bed, 4x4, F350...

Here in Central Texas, there are more 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the roads then cars....

I assume we Texans will need to drive the Smart like a motorcycle... in other words-- pay attention to the other idiots on the road

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm starting to think there will be Smarts available right away. People will back out/cancel. They may not be the exact thing you reserve but if I can get one, I won't be that fussy if it's within my budget. OMHO

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm starting to think there will be Smarts available right away.
I'm starting to like the way you're starting to think.

I bet you are right. All it takes to register is a hundred bucks and an urge. I bet the numbers will see a heavy drop at go time.

And re, driving it like a bike... I ride my bike more than I drive my car so I kind of naturally do it that way. It kind of freaks my wife out a little when I lean in to the curves :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I also am convinced that there will be some reservers drop out of line for the following reasons I have posted previously:

(recap)
1. Some may have only a passing interest and do not miss the temporary loss of their returnable $99.
2. Some will realize that it is not suitable as an only car unless they are urban dwellers and they have an affordable, safe place to garage it.
3. Some will realize that it is not a good substitute for a second

1 - 9 of 9 Posts