Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10,726 oil Change, wow, was that easy, ran the Gozer on the ramps and looked under the car. Whala! the plug and filter was very easy to get to and all went well.
Very good design for DIY'ers Used Mobil One 0-40 synthetic with a Mobil One Oil Filter.
I love my smart!!! 0:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking of changing mine myself. The dealers want like $180ish to do my first maintenance. Is there any benefits in taking it to the dealer vs DIY? And if you don't mind how much did the oil and filter cost?

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
You can get the oil and filter at Walmart for under $30 if I remember correctly. Only issue with DIY is properly disposing of the used oil and filter. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
I'm probably off on the cost - the 453 filters are more expensive than the 451 filter. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, is this the general consensus then? The Mobil 1 0w-40 European spec motor oil? I see a lot of you using the Mobil 1 oil filter too. Could I get by with a Fram, made for synthetic oil?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea, some owners nit pick over oil type as there is some confusion as to whether the Mobil 1 oil actually meet the standard set for the car or whether it's even the right standard for that motor. Anyways, I know myself and several others have gone with Mobil 1 OW-40 and that's what I plan on using from here on out. Filter brand shouldn't matter as long as it meets the filtration standard. Something like 20 microns or so? Anybody wanna help me out on that?

·
Registered
907 Posts
You can get the oil and filter at Walmart for under $30 if I remember correctly. Only issue with DIY is properly disposing of the used oil and filter. :)
If Wal*Mart has an Auto Service Department they may take the used oil. Here in Nevada, O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Pepboys all take used motor oil. May be different where you are.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
There are very few filters available in the USA for the 453 yet. But I do believe it should be fleece material. Having felt the fleece material in my hands it basically feels like fuzzy paper... Since there are so few filters available I am not worried the one aftermarket filter that I know of will be any issue. Beck Arnley is a reputable company. (In the past I had an issue with their glow plug application guide not having the correct part number for my W123. It was a different size. So my best advice is when you have the old filter out just make sure it's the same size and shape as the original).

Some people don't like Fram. I've had no bad experience with their filters so far. (I don't pick their cheapest one though....)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
So, is this the general consensus then? The Mobil 1 0w-40 European spec motor oil? I see a lot of you using the Mobil 1 oil filter too. Could I get by with a Fram, made for synthetic oil?
The picture in your profile shows a 451. There isn't a question on which oil spec to use on that M 132 engine, any 229.5 oil listed here:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

In particular outside of Western Europe, where 229.3, 229.31, 229.51 and 229.52 are also acceptable.
Yea, some owners nit pick over oil type as there is some confusion as to whether the Mobil 1 oil actually meet the standard set for the car or whether it's even the right standard for that motor. Anyways, I know myself and several others have gone with Mobil 1 OW-40 and that's what I plan on using from here on out. Filter brand shouldn't matter as long as it meets the filtration standard. Something like 20 microns or so? Anybody wanna help me out on that?
Something along the lines of a typo MAY have happened in the earlier printings of 453 manuals as shown in you profile pic. At least that is what I suspect happened....

The difference being 229.5 vs. 229.51, 229.51 being what was printed in at least the earlier manuals. Unfortunately they came up with a numbering scheme that risked this possibility. Looks like the latest list shows 229.5 and 226.5 as the oils for outside Western Europe, engine is M 281:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/955477/Smart-453-Series.html?page=44

(I spent 1 - 1 1/2 hours trying to program one Homelink remote control button because the manual I had was incorrect. So the manuals from Mercedes/Smart are fallable in my experience.)

Oils per engine:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Viscosity for ambient temperatures car is operated at:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/224.1_en.html

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If Wal*Mart has an Auto Service Department they may take the used oil. Here in Nevada, O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Pepboys all take used motor oil. May be different where you are.
Here in California I believe all places that do oil changes and also all places that sell motor oil take used oil, and old canister filters, supposedly. (Maybe excluding Walmarts without auto centers...)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Only thing that sucks about changing the oil in a 453 yourself is that the oil filter is NOWHERE NEAR in a convenient place to get to... even on ramps. The 451 was nice. You could see the oil filter just by putting your head lower than the rear valance. The 453's filter is tucked pretty far up on the FRONT side of the engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I also noticed during the 453 oil change, is the seating of the filter cartridge is odd. The cartridge return hole pushes against the engine oil return entry, and is held in place by the deformation of the plastic on the filter hole. Then the oil filter cover ( also plastic) threads against it and hopefully keeps everything lined up and in place. It's odd tightening a 27mm nut gently so as to not over tighten the plastic. Seems to be working

·
Registered
72 Posts
The picture in your profile shows a 451. There isn't a question on which oil spec to use on that M 132 engine, any 229.5 oil listed here:

I had viewed some videos on UTube about changing the oil, and one guy used 5w-30 synthetic oil. That's why I guess I was kind of confused. I watched another video and this guy used the Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. Just wanted to be sure which one to buy for my 2015 passion.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You're in Michigan, next to the great lakes. I'm guessing it gets really cold there. 0W-30 or 0W-40 is probably a safer bet for you. 5 W may be a little thick if it gets mighty cold. (It has a lower temp limit if you see the link to the chart on viscosities).

Some people are real passionate about what to use, so I don't like to play favorites when I give advice.

Mobil 1 0W-40 was possibly the original oil in your smart. (More recently Mercedes has started making their own brand of oil and started using that). Since Mobil decided to partner with Walmart their products are readily available at some of the most competitive prices around, so that's the brand I have in the cupboard for all my cars, excluding the BMWs in the household, and my wife's Ford, which she gets a great deal for oil changes at the dealer. The 0W-40 now sold has "FS" on the bottles, which is an improved formula from the past. Look for 5 qt jugs. (They also sell a measuring funnel which I use to measure out how much I need).

Another place that has competitive pricing on oil change packages is AutoZone...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts