Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a 2015 smart fortwo the other day with 21,000 miles on it. I was checking underneath and checked the tranny fluid saw it was a little low, so I decided to change it all. So I went to the auto parts store and got mobil 1 sythetic gear lube 75w90 API GL-5. Changed it with proper level. Drove car and it drove great smooth shifting and everything, drove about 50 miles with the new oil. I had it in the car almost a whole 24 hours. The next day I read online that GL-5 is not what the car calls for, so I went to the store to look for something that had a API GL-4 rating. All I could find was Royal Purple max gear 75w90 that says it meets and exceeds gl4 and gl5.... so the question is, did I just screw myself?? Or am I ok? Is my transmission going to be messed up now? Or am I safe?? Please help I am worried that I might need to replace the tranny soon ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trans Oil

Kyle:

I would not worry to much. Meets or exceeds means exactly that. At least you were
on top of your maintenance and checked the oil level.

ratchetwrist

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but what about the first fluid I put in? You think it did any damage?? Because on another forum someone said the mobil one is not for this transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also when I drive uphill it tends to rev up higher than normal and stays in 1st gear for a long time, has a long delay in shifting is this normal for these cars? It's my first smart car

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shifting

Kyle:

Putting the wrong oil in a gearbox that isn't loaded under heavy work
conditions will not cause you problems. As for the shifting, it will stay in
first gear if you keep your foot in it. Try the paddles if you have them. You
need to play with this car to get the feel of it, so go have some fun.

Great car. If you have snow in your area, put some X-ICE tires on it and you
will get rid of your 4x4 if you have one.

ratchetwrist

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Also when I drive uphill it tends to rev up higher than normal and stays in 1st gear for a long time, has a long delay in shifting is this normal for these cars? It's my first smart car

Delaying shifts while climbing uphill is perfectly normal. It's offering you more power prior to upshifting to keep you within the necessary/better performing powerband.

The gear oil difference is negligible, although I would use a high quality GL-4 gear oil since that is what was recommended. You probably won't notice a difference, but I prefer to stick to what manufacturers recommend at least until those recommendations are obsolete due to technological advancements.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Manufactures

Here is one for you on manufactures. VW recommended no oil changes on their 01M automatic transmissions
back in 1999 to 2004 ?. Everyone who knew the 01M was changing the oil. In I think 2010 they came out
with a TSB and recommended changing the oil but it was to late for many owners who ruined the transmission
by not changing the oil. Got to love it. Do what feels good to you on maintenance issues and oil as you own
the thing now.

ratchetwrist

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I have the paddle shifters in mine I tried them out, the car actually shifts a lot smoother/ better than it did in auto mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the oil I put in last was the royal purple max gear 75w90. That should be fine for now until I can get my hands on the factory oil??? ..... which I've been reading up on as Castrol BOT 328.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts