Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on information offered on the forum, it dawned on me that I failed to select an options tab before completing my configuration. It seems odd that the process would not have forced one to look at the available list of options. Initially this didn't bother me as I thought that the final configuration was not set in stone until the contract is sign (just like all other car companies) or they could be added at the dealer. Not true.

Anyway, just got off the phone with SmartUsa and this is what I have learned.

1. Fog lamps can be added at the dealer. Added gauges and Alarm system cannot. (Don't know about other options. Fortunately, the Passion with Comfort package comes with everything else)
2. You can easily change your configuration on the site until the configuration deadline passes.
3. After that, there is a limited time within which you can contact SmartUsa directly to authorize them to add options, but this will result in the delivery time sliding back 1 to 2 months.

Lesson: Explore the configuration site in great detail before you push that process button.

I can't drive without a tachometer, so I just wasted a month or two.:(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did that too, it was not at all clear in the site flow where to make option changes - configured and processed my car, then figured out (withing a minute) how to remove Seat heaters, upgrade the radio etc. Went back and made my changes, it took them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I initially configured my smart on 9-16. After all the controversy on "Is it red, or is it orange?" I e-mailed smartUSA on November 1st and asked if I could change colors. A very nice lady called me back the very next day and asked what changes I would like. After telling her, she told me whe would see what she could do, but any changes might delay my smartie for a week or two. Heck, even a month or two would be no problem for me.
On November 15th I received an e-mail confirming my new smart configuration. I'm a happy camper! :cool:

But everyone who hasn't configured yet should take a lesson as per Ihoboy. I was lucky. You may not be so lucky. Get it right the first time if you can!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I can't drive without a tachometer, so I just wasted a month or two.:(
I'm the the same position, missed the tach/clock and fog lights on the confirmation back in September. Called today to see about changes, they told me BOTH the fogs and the tach can only be factory ordered, with a 1-2 month delay.

However, at the smart House and at the LA Auto Show the reps there said fogs and tach/clock can be dealer installed. So who to believe? The gals at the call center (who put me on hold to ask) or the road show guys?

Don't want to delay, so I'm at the mercy of what Mercedes Beverly Hills can do.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm the the same position, missed the tach/clock and fog lights on the confirmation back in September. Called today to see about changes, they told me BOTH the fogs and the tach can only be factory ordered, with a 1-2 month delay.

However, at the smart House and at the LA Auto Show the reps there said fogs and tach/clock can be dealer installed. So who to believe? The gals at the call center (who put me on hold to ask) or the road show guys?

Don't want to delay, so I'm at the mercy of what Mercedes Beverly Hills can do.
You'll probably get your car before I get mine, now, so let us know if you can get the dealer to sort it out.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great News (configuration)

I received a call from SmartUsa today and they confirmed the addition of the options I failed to specify online prior to October 22 (my configuration deadline). (See details above) I contacted SmartUsa on November 26 to make the changes. Not only did they confirm the changes, but they indicated that the changes in no way delayed the production timing. :):):)

However, this does mean that delivery on an 1178 vehicle will not occur until at least mid-February (6 weeks for production plus 4 weeks in-transit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi guys, has anyone just changed colors after confirmation and not options? I have my options set (fogs, instruments, heated seats, hi-fi stereo) but I'm thinking about changing my color package so that I can have additional panels (diff color) to swap out later.

Current setup: Silver/Black T/Red interior
Proposed: Yellow/Silver T/Black interior
Future: ORANGE/Silver T/Black interior :D

I reserved on March 30 and confirmed my order on November 16, do I still have time to change color without sliding back a few months or no? It's not a big deal, just something I am thinking about.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I reserved on March 30 and confirmed my order on November 16, do I still have time to change color without sliding back a few months or no?
Call 1 800 smart USA to make sure. When I called to ask about changes they said it would slip my September configuration a couple of months. Color is easier, though. Even at the dealer!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys, has anyone just changed colors after confirmation and not options? I have my options set (fogs, instruments, heated seats, hi-fi stereo) but I'm thinking about changing my color package so that I can have additional panels (diff color) to swap out later.

Current setup: Silver/Black T/Red interior
Proposed: Yellow/Silver T/Black interior
Future: ORANGE/Silver T/Black interior :D

I reserved on March 30 and confirmed my order on November 16, do I still have time to change color without sliding back a few months or no? It's not a big deal, just something I am thinking about.
You're only a 3 weeks past your confirmation window. CALL NOW! It may not delay your production by more than a few weeks. They will let you know what the delay might be before they submit the change order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts