Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out? I have a 2006 Smart convertible - low beam headlight is out on the passenger side - tried to change it through the vent - somehow managed to get the headlight clip tangled up with something - my son's arm is too big to try and fix whatever I did - is the only option to remove the whole front clip? And if so, how hard is it and how long will it take? Should I change all bulbs while I am at it?
Any help is really appreciated! Would like to avoid going back to Mercedes in Halifax for something as simple (or maybe not so simple) as changing a headlight!
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the sake of all that is holy, dont loose that clip. The thiefs at the mercedes shops are going to want to charge you over $300 for a full new light fixture!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Use a small small womens purse makeup mirror and a service lamp. This is so you can see the head lamp retaining clip. Place the mirror and service lamp behind the head lamp housing. Hope you have small hands.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
For the 2006 smart 450, you just have to do it by feel. I can change each bulb in about 2 minutes by feel alone, but it takes practise. It squeezes the forearm a fair bit but it can be done.

Try carefully maneuvering the bulb clip into position a few times before giving up and taking the nose off. Even with the nose off, it's not that easy to change the bulb! Also, when pulling the 450 nose off, protect the upper centre part of the headlights with thick tape, because the panel clips on either side are perfectly lines up to gouge a large chunk out of the headlight lenses on each side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts