Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil at 5K miles. Took the new filter to the parts store and got a expanding filter wrench to fit it before I started the process. Drain pan fits under the car without jacking up the car. Drain plug is very accessible as well as the filter. Had to use the copper washer over as they weren't available when I bought my filters. 15 minute job, easy. Just remember that the 10K oil change is not a free change as is with cars like Mini. I will buy whatever filters they change at 10K and do all myself, otherwise I will have at least a half day vacation, 3hours of driving, and probably a $150 bill. Will only let them do it if that 10K change done by myself would affect warranty.

More...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
~ Oil & Filter Changing ~

1) SUCK that Oil Out of the Pan... See the Pics Below, and see the Drain hole is in the "Middle of the Pan... And the Hole is 1/4" off the bottom of the Pan... So if you tip the Smart in any direction, but Flat, your oil will run away from the Hole... So even if the Pan is Flat, you will leave 1/4" of oil in the Bottom of the Pan...YIKES... BUT... You get that 1/4" of oil out by "SUCKING YOUR OIL OUT"...!!!
Oh, it's easier to do TOO... You don't have to use Ramps, and Fight that Drain Plug, and maybe strip, and wreck your oil Pan...
2) OIL: Any Good Brand of Dino will do... Every 3,000 miles "IF" you Love Your Smart... Black Stone shows that the Additive Package is "JUST" starting to break down, and note that Black color is combustion Soot...(soot is Not a Lubricant)...
~ Any Good Brand of Synthetic Oil will do... Every 5,000 miles "IF" you Really Love Your Smart... Black Stone shows that the Additive Package is "JUST starting to break down, and note that Black color is combustion Soot...(soot is Not a Lubricant)...

3) HowLong: Change "Once A Year" regardless of mileage... Moisture Kills The Acid Package, even after a nice HOT
ENGINE burns moisture out of the Oil... So get that Oil Out Of There after one year of aging...

3) Purolator PL14610 oil filter is 1/2" longer (better)(more filter area)(Not a clearance issue)(unless you are out "Boondocking" your Smart)...
a) Remember to pre-fill that new Filter...OK
b) No need for Ramps,,, Just lay on the floor... The Filter is in your Face just by looking under the Bumper...

NOTE: My Smart Car Oil Plug Has "NEVER" been removed from installation at the Factory...(it is now 10 1\2 years old)...
Yum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts