Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The report indicated that insolubles was getting up there and it was probably a good time to change the oil. Sounds like you gave your tranny some TLC to me.. What's that commercial about getting the nasty stuff out??? :D

I know Steve, it said wear was normal, I would prefer to keep it below normal...:wink:

·
Registered
301 Posts
FWIW.......I just changed the trans oil at 35k miles from the recomendations of some on this board. I used Redline MT90 and IMMEDIATLY noticed that the low speed rattle that was very apparent prior to the oil change had dissapeared, and the shift quality had improved dramatically! I had done some additional reading about oil types, and noticed that I should have considered using the BOT type OEM oil.

All I can say for now, is that the Redline oil certainly did make an improvement. We'll see if the transmission self-destructs. :eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll also confirm that it took less time to do than the oil change that I did the same day.

The key is to have the narrow "squirt" type quart bottle, for yor fill. I kept an old Royal Purple bottle for just this type of project. Fill it with your favorite approved lube, 3 times, and squirt into the fill hole. All of it is easily reachable from the back of the car with no lift or jacks required.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Vavoline 75w-90

Folx just changed out sauce in gearbox with Valvoline 75w-90 SynPower gear lube @ per MB dealer in Madison. Talk about the Cat's @$$! No more noise or milkshaking out of Katarina anymore! 2 1/2 qts & moving no more than 2' from behind the left rear tire & my sauce is dumpt! If you line up between the case's split line & both transaxles you can get @ BOTH plugs with an 8mm Allen socket! Thanx for the great tips everyone!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Don't know what gear oils are equivalent to Castrol BOT 328 specs, but did learn from Amsoil at the 2012 SEMA show, they do NOT have a replacement product..
FYI...:wink:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm I girl with a new barbus 2013 when should I have this done I'm in Houston
Hello,

First of all, you do not need to EVER change your transmission fluid, as stated in the owners manual. This is just an exercise in mind set of old school vs new. I did change mine " just 'cause".......

Do not feel you have to do it

.............also....... Punctuation is your friend!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Hello,

First of all, you do not need to EVER change your transmission fluid, as stated in the owners manual. This is just an exercise in mind set of old school vs new. I did change mine " just 'cause".......

Do not feel you have to do it

You are correct, the owners manual does state it does not need changed. However, I have worked on cars my whole life, and in my current job, I am responsible for the maintenance of multi-million dollar machines. I can tell you, there is no such thing as "lifetime" lubrication. All machanical systems require periodic maintenance, and the lubricant package of all oils, greases, etc. do break down over time. What most auto manufactures count on, is that you won't keep your car much past 100-125K miles. Therefore they don't worry about extended oil change intervals. Truth is, a vast majority of cars are headed for the scrap yard before they see 125k miles. They play the odds, and hope they win.

Now, if you have somebody like myself, I have no issues running a car to 200K. But to do so requires maintenance above and beyond what the factory recommends. I whole-heartedly believe in changing the transmission oil at regular intervals, especially in a manual transmission like the smart. Over time minute metal particles get in the oil, and to remove those is just good practice.

Each person has to do what they feel is necessary.:)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
You are correct, the owners manual does state it does not need changed. However, I have worked on cars my whole life, and in my current job, I am responsible for the maintenance of multi-million dollar machines. I can tell you, there is no such thing as "lifetime" lubrication. All machanical systems require periodic maintenance, and the lubricant package of all oils, greases, etc. do break down over time. What most auto manufactures count on, is that you won't keep your car much past 100-125K miles. Therefore they don't worry about extended oil change intervals. Truth is, a vast majority of cars are headed for the scrap yard before they see 125k miles. They play the odds, and hope they win.

Now, if you have somebody like myself, I have no issues running a car to 200K. But to do so requires maintenance above and beyond what the factory recommends. I whole-heartedly believe in changing the transmission oil at regular intervals, especially in a manual transmission like the smart. Over time minute metal particles get in the oil, and to remove those is just good practice.

Each person has to do what they feel is necessary.:)

To drive the point home. Has anyone here used a magnetic drain plug in an engine,transmission or differential ? If so, you have experienced what I have, a fuzzy gooball on the end of the magnetic plug when its been in service for a while and then removed for inspection... If you haven't tried this, you should...
As Greg said ,ya don't have to do anything, I prefer to go the extra mile and have peace of mind...:wink:
Any time we add a new machine to the shop that has any type of gearbox with oil I peel the cover off and place a small magnet inside or add a magnetic plug if possible.. The results are impressive..:wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm about to hit the 10,000 mile marker and i haven't changed the oil or done any maintenance to the car. Lately i have notice that I'm not getting the same MPT (Miles Per Tank) normally i would get 250mpt, but i cant break the 230 mile to the tank anymore (driving the same mostly City NYC). I know this oil need to be changed, but i was wondering if i should just go ahead and just change the trans oil or just leave it as is. This particular smart will be replace by a new one under the NYS lemon law, due to the sealership keeping it for 40 days while they got the new air bag for the passenger side seat, But I would like to know for the future one that will be replacing this one, what would you guys recommend every 10k, 20k, 30k (i know is not necessary to change, but I'm with WhiteNBlack08 on this one).

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I put conventional oil in the crank for 500 miles{ ( from 200 to 700) 200 was the first chance to change after getting it home.} then back to synthetic

I changed out the gear oil at 5k

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just changed my trans oil using mobil 1 75-90 synthetic. I guess I dont totally understand it being so critical on the specialty oil. Its a standard not an automatic trans.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I just changed my trans oil using mobil 1 75-90 synthetic. I guess I dont totally understand it being so critical on the specialty oil. Its a standard not an automatic trans.

You better check the oil spec. Mobil 1 is GL-5, which is not recommended in the smart tranny. GL-5 is not friendly to brass synchros.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:(

21 - 40 of 95 Posts