Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I changed mine on the 451s whilst under the back bumper. Remember the right side is the drain and the left side is the fill. You can finagle a regular gear oil bottle between the spring. I had ZERO gear noise after switching to Valvoline 75W-90. (plus the MB ANSI rating is on the back of the jug) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Opposite side of the drain just a little further up. Only 2 on the part, they are identical so I marked on to make sure I put them back in the same hole . Super easy to do, don't even need a lift or anything. Remember to pour some new stuff through while both bolts are out. It will push out the old stiff still at the bottom, you will see it get clear when it's enough. Used Mobil One.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's the images of the plug locations. 1st is drain at 6 o'clock position on right. 2nd is the fill plug at 10 o'clock position on left side.

Thanks for the reply/Photos...I never got a notification that there were replies to my question. Thanks again.

·
I'll figger this car out
329 Posts
You are correct, the owners manual does state it does not need changed. However, I have worked on cars my whole life, and in my current job, I am responsible for the maintenance of multi-million dollar machines. I can tell you, there is no such thing as "lifetime" lubrication. All machanical systems require periodic maintenance, and the lubricant package of all oils, greases, etc. do break down over time. What most auto manufactures count on, is that you won't keep your car much past 100-125K miles. Therefore they don't worry about extended oil change intervals. Truth is, a vast majority of cars are headed for the scrap yard before they see 125k miles. They play the odds, and hope they win.

Now, if you have somebody like myself, I have no issues running a car to 200K. But to do so requires maintenance above and beyond what the factory recommends. I whole-heartedly believe in changing the transmission oil at regular intervals, especially in a manual transmission like the smart. Over time minute metal particles get in the oil, and to remove those is just good practice.

Each person has to do what they feel is necessary.:)
I don't own a vehicle except my bicycle that has fewer than 100000 miles. The best is 358000. They are mostly diesels, but maintenance enables drivers to enjoy their cars longer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am going to change my transmission fluid in my 2015 smart fortwo Passion with approximately 29,500 miles. I am going to use Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube, 75w-90API GL4. This is a Mercedes Benz OEM spec fluid. Has anyone else used this fluid? And, what is that strange looking socket to remove the fluid plugs? Looks like a star fitting of some sort.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't believe that's the drain plug. I think that's a weird Getrag vent. The fill plug is at the 9 o'clock position inside of the left spring pack and the drain's at the 4 o'clock spot. You CAN get away with 2qts. I switched Klarice (2013, 451 Richard Petty Blue) to Valvoline Syn-Power 75W-140 and took that distinctive klunk out the gears banging. Hope this helps!

81 - 95 of 95 Posts