Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it is possible to install 2 stock wheels (same size as the rear) on the front with the same size tire so that they can be rotated (no aftermarket rims)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes. And it is done often. There is even someone running 4 rear brabus 17" rims on his smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
907 Posts
I know the tires are of different sizes front to back, but are the stock rims identical front to back?
So, all I need are two tires same size as the rear tires?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info and yes i know of search but didn't think to use it. my apologies. however it does look like someone benefited from me asking the question.

my grandfather said the only dumb question is the one you don't ask because no one will benefit from the answer

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
There is a complete section about tires and rims for the different model smart cars.

smart Wheels & Tires - Smart Car Forums

and there are hundreds of different questions and answers already discussed . I know the search engine is not the most friendly thing to use, but a little background reading wouldn't hurt. Asking the same questions that have been discussed over and over can aggravate some of the old time members and takes up time and space. If you can't find an answer to a particular question, try checking under the heading that seems most closest to what you are looking for. The General Questions area is mostly used for questions that don't fit in any of the other categories.

The tires are marked as different sizes and so are the rims. there is a range of tires that will fit on as specific rim, ans most knowledgeable tire dealers will not install the wrong size tire on a rim. If they do, you had better find a better tire place.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheels

are there any clearance issues when doing this? i bet it handles alot better and crosswinds don't affecr it as much

thanks for letting us know

·
Banned
844 Posts
are there any clearance issues when doing this? i bet it handles alot better and crosswinds don't affecr it as much
thanks for letting us know
I've been running 15x6 alloy wheels at all 4 corners for 6 years, a majority of the time with 195/50-15 tires, better stability in all conditions, 2 months ago i switched to 185/60-15's, smoother ride, different tread pattern, much quieter as well, will give you a couple of MPH higher top speed, since the computer reads the speed from the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
thanks for the info and yes i know of search but didn't think to use it. my apologies. however it does look like someone benefited from me asking the question.

my grandfather said the only dumb question is the one you don't ask because no one will benefit from the answer
Darn right it helped. Thank You for asking.
If some 'Old' members are bothered by previously asked question.
I have a answer for them...DON'T BOTHER READING IT just move along. Pretty simple. More understanding and tolerant members will help.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Darn right it helped. Thank You for asking.
If some 'Old' members are bothered by previously asked question.
I have a answer for them...DON'T BOTHER READING IT just move along. Pretty simple. More understanding and tolerant members will help.

PM sent

·
Banned
844 Posts
No problem. I have 4 stock rear rims on mine and I run 185/60's all the way around :D
if MB/smart had a brain in their head, they'd run 15x5.5 wheels and 185/60-15 tires all around, cheaper and a much better ride! who are they staggering sizes for? tire makers? those "odd" sizes are more expensive than 185/60-15's.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ooohhh, busted!!! (Sorry guys, just trying to lighten the mood.) :D

if MB/smart had a brain in their head, they'd run 15x5.5 wheels and 185/60-15 tires all around, cheaper and a much better ride! who are they staggering sizes for? tire makers? those "odd" sizes are more expensive than 185/60-15's.
Understeer, for us nimwits who can't control a car like a man!

No problem. I have 4 stock rear rims on mine and I run 185/60's all the way around :D
Hi chief! (Good to see you around again.) I thought you were a moderator????

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Never had any issues when I changed to all 4 rear rims and same size tires.Handling got much better, as did the ride.

Ooohhh, busted!!! (Sorry guys, just trying to lighten the mood.) You just remember.. Big Brother is watching (just kidding)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts