Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay, got our ED3 on Friday and loving it. :smartje.bl.zw:

We're in a bit of a cold-snap (~ -1C) so on full charge the trip indicator is estimating about 86KM. What I thought was eye-opening was as soon as I switch on the cabin heater fan (temp setting didn't matter) that estimate drops to about 75KM - that heater is a power piggy. :eek:

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed the following two things:

1. The manual says that the charging station (big-black-blob-of-a-box) remembers that last charging setting (low or high). It doesn't. Every time it is plugged in it resets to low.

2. The manual also says the car remembers how you last set the charge setting (charge now vs charge-and-depart). This works to a point. It defaults to the last setting but it always resets the pre-conditioning (A/C) to off.

For #2, this means if we want pre-conditioning ON at the same depart time every day we have to remember to set it up in the overwrite menu (click-click-push-click-click-push-etc) every time before turning off the key. This must be a firmware bug as I find this quite user-unfriendly.

If we select Charge Now, the A/C setting gets forced to OFF and remains there. If we do select Charge-and-Depart (with A/C ON) it works at the depart time, but the next time the car is switched off the A/C setting again has reset to OFF.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
You can try using the smart Vehicle Homepage, and turning the heat or a/c on with your cellphone.

It's probably going to be much easier for you to do it that way. :cool:

·
Registered
646 Posts
If by charging station you mean the supplied 110v charger, it resets to the 8A setting every time you unplug it from the wall. If you unplug it from the car and leave it plugged in at the wall socket, it will retain the current setting, whether 12A or 8A.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have not observed that the C&D setting with A/C on changes, unless I purposely change it. I do see that when you turn the key off, you need to select either Charge now or Charge & Depart or let it select for you, based on what you selected the last time powered off (I think). The A/C on vs off setting, I've found, only changes when you navigate to the C&D menu and then overwrite the departure time, which then gives a choice of A/C on or off.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yay, got our ED3 on Friday and loving it. :smartje.bl.zw:

1. The manual says that the charging station (big-black-blob-of-a-box) remembers that last charging setting (low or high). It doesn't. Every time it is plugged in it resets to low.
Welcome to the EV club!

The charger does remember the 12A vs 8A setting if you leave it plugged in (as I do), and just reconnect the charge connector to the car.

However, when unplugged (or when the power fails as happened to me yesterday), the charger resets back to 8A.

I had to walk out in the cold night to press the button as I checked the charging status via the web app and found it was going to take well into the next day to recharge (I'd ran it down to <10%).

Given how infrequently the power blips here in the GTA, this is not an inconvenience to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Regarding #2... I do not have to Overwrite every time to get the preconditioning to work. In fact all I have to do is turn the dial to Charge & Depart on the menu and push the OK button and scroll down one spot to my previous setting and push the OK button again. That is it. In fact I do this as I am driving on my way home from work. It takes 2 seconds.

I am not sure if it is because I have the new V9 firmware or not. I do not recall how that function worked before because I had to mess with it so much to try and figure out what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
this means if we want pre-conditioning ON at the same depart time every day we have to remember to set it up in the overwrite menu every time before turning off the key. This must be a firmware bug as I find this quite user-unfriendly.
Yes and no. If the C&D actually happens and you don't open the car before the cycle is finished (i.e. within 20 mins after the set time) it generally moves the setting to an odd mix of "Charge Now" and "A/C On". In the web display, this shows as "--:-- A/C On".

There is a shortcut: When you turn off the car you can press the unlock button the fob to display a limited charge and depart setting mode. About 30% of the time my car goes into this mode by default when I turn it off (still not sure why that varies). You can select "Charge Now" or the previously used time/setting. The default is based on if you got to it before the end of the last cycle. (For me, it's normally charge now.) In this menu, it's a simple up-tick and click to enable the previous time/on condition.

Note in the limited mode you cannot change the time, only select the last time you set. If you want to change the time, the key must be in the ignition in the 1 position. (Or you can use the online web page as noted by others.)

Cavet: I still have the V8 software initially shipped with the 2013 EV. Your dealership may have upgraded your EV to the new V9 software, which may or may not change some of these settings. The V9 software has only been available for about a month or so, so not all dealers are aware of it, nor have all updated their stock on hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I have V8 or V9 firmware - is there a way to tell without taking the car to a service centre?

I have confirmed (I was wrong) that if I set a departure time AND enable A/C, the car will remember this each time. When the car is turned off, it allows me to select either Charge Now or time-of-day departure mode - and it defaults to the last one I selected.

But here's what the car does "wrong". If I've setup a depart time with A/C enabled, everything is great until I turn off the car and select Charge Now. Once I do this, the car has reset the A/C enabled setting and disables it - the depart time is still remembered.

So, if I do one Charge Now (say during the day), when I get home and setup for charge-and-depart in the morning, I have to go through the overwrite menu settings to re-enabled the A/C mode because once I selected Charge Now the A/C mode is turned off. If I just turn off the car and select timed departure the A/C mode will be off.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I have V8 or V9 firmware - is there a way to tell without taking the car to a service centre?
The only way I know of telling them apart would require you having a Keba Connect EVSE, since I know how to make V8 break that EVSE, where that should be fixed in V9. There's about a 50/50 chance for you, since you got it right at the threshold. One way to maybe find out: Call the service center. If they did an upgrade it was recent enough they'll probably know the answer. If they ask "What's V9?" then you have V8. :D

If I've setup a depart time with A/C enabled, everything is great until I turn off the car and select Charge Now.
Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Then don't do that!

The C&D doesn't delay charging. When you plug the car in, it starts charging right away, no matter what the setting. The only difference is that C&D may limit the amperage or suspend charging if the pack temperatures go up during charge vs turning on the cooling system, so it may take slightly longer to charge.

The only reason to select Charge Now is to force the fastest charging cycle to be used. For small in-day charges, unless you have a narrow window and a large need to have a full charge, you really don't need to use the Charge Now setting.

I don't know if mine does that. I'll test that out tonight. That may be a change in V9 as well, so if someone who knows they have V9 installed could test this too, that would be great. We can compare notes and see if this is changed in a way where we can determine software version by observable behavior.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Woody the owner's manual (as sh*ty as it is) says that C&D is used "if you wish to charge to charge the vehicle at a charging station/wallbox at the most inexpensive electricity rate." and further on "The charging process also begins when you insert the charging cable into the vehicle's power socket. However, this is only the case if you have not made any departure time settings"

Both of these suggest that it was at least their intent to delay the charging using C&D. I agree whole heartedly that it just doesn't work but it is my hope that this is a firmware bug that will be (perhaps already is?) fixed. Off peak rate here is 7c/kwhr and on peak is 12c. I certainly want to charge off peak but I don't want to get dressed and haul my butt out to the garage at 7pm just to plug the car in.

Has anyone out there with the latest and greatest firmware been able to confirm a delayed start to charging?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have not tested this. I will tonight and see if it starts charging right away. Although I have not heard that this was a feature or fix that was in v9.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mine starts charging immediately, with "charge now" or C&D departure time set. C&D pre-heating in the morning works reliably when I select it at night before I turn the car off and plug in to charge. But it always starts charging immediately.
I have a 2014, so I'd hope to have the latest firmware, but like everyone I have no way to check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have opened a call with MB Customer Services to try to get this straightened out. Keep in mind that the cars that are being delivered now may well have been built before V9 was put into production (end Oct). The only people who would know for sure that they have V9 are those that have had it installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Then don't do that!
LOL

The only reason to select Charge Now is to force the fastest charging cycle to be used. For small in-day charges, unless you have a narrow window and a large need to have a full charge, you really don't need to use the Charge Now setting.
That's a good point! :Thankyou: This works until a firmware update correctly start charging the car closer to the Depart time (to optimize for time-of-day billing).

Perhaps in a future firmware, they should support TWO times: time to start charging, and time to depart. With both times the car can make the best decisions on how to charge.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Note: I was the first Gen3 ED delivered in the US, and have used this car as my primary since day 1. I have over 6K on it already.

Woody the owner's manual says
It also talks about the exhaust system, and has a picture of the "charging light above your charging port", both not present in US EDs. The errata in the manual ranges from old/inaccurate details, to missing sections, to poor translation from the original German. The ED manual is a poor mash up of the 2012 ICE manual, Gen2 ED details, and some new Gen3 info. It also does not take into consideration or note regional (US vs EU) differences.

I can tell you with great certainty that the charging always starts when you plug the car in with V8 (and likely V9) software, regardless of anything said in the user manual. Even if it did delay charging, how would it know your optimum charging times? Does it guess based on local time? Does it assume your depart time is the stop time for charging? Both bad ideas.

This works until a firmware update correctly start charging the car closer to the Depart time (to optimize for time-of-day billing). Perhaps in a future firmware, they should support TWO times:
In fact, you would need at least three times:

1. Start time for lower billing rate
  2. Stop time for lower billing rate
  3. Departure time for preconditioning
Most time-of-use systems have optimal rates from about 1am till about 6am local time. Unless you work at an establishment preparing or serving breakfast, good odds you're not leaving at 6am. Leaving even an hour after the set time in a colder/warmer climate means you lose the effect of cabin conditioning, which is IMHO the main point of C&D.

Most people with mode 2 EVSA and TOU power either have a smart EVSA that has a timer, or have a water heater or pool minder in-line that can safely switch the voltage/amperage based on time. They're pretty cheap, ebay has multi-trigger 24-hour versions for as low as $30. Then you don't have to have any settings in your car. :)

To be fair though, this is one thing that really disappoints me about the smart ED. They had 3 generations to get this right, and still basic things like TOU settings and/or remote access are busted and/or completely missing.

I also wouldn't hold out much hope that this will be fixed in later software updates. Smart has never been known to make major changes or feature updates to existing year models. At most they do small touch-ups around the edges to fix bugs and deliver what was promised if something is critically broken. It may be in the 453, but even then I doubt, even if every competitor on the market ships it as standard. (Like cruise control... how long did that take?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have confirmed in v9 that the charging starts when you plug it in no matter what your C&D settings are.
For those who have updates from V8 to V9, I've heard that V9 "improves" C&D.

What are the symptoms of a buggy V8 C&D and what does V9 do to fix it?

I'd like to determine if my ED3 has V8 and if I notice issues with C&D before I see if my service centre can upgrade me to V9. I think they need me to describe a problem before booking warranty service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts