Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 E-for two that I purchased used in 2015 with 1200 miles on O.D.
The car now has 21,000+ miles on it and I have yet to figure out how to use the Charge and Depart feature on car.

I have tried several different (what I thought) ways for it to make sense to me, but I just can't get it...
Have read manual and still can't get it correct....Anyone have experience with "timer" and how the h*ll it works?

Thanks for any and all help...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the way to get it to work is like this:

-Pull up to a charger and leave the car on
-go to the charge and depart menu
-select overwrite
-enter the time that you want the car to be ready at
-on the next menu select weather you want “a/c” (it’s a bad translation, it means heating or cooling)
- then the screen will show the time and if you turned on preconditioning
-turn on the heater/air conditioning to the temp and fan settings
-shut off the car, plug it in, and lock it.
-if you look at the screen, it will show weather the settings worked.

-Then, the car will start preconditioning 30 minutes before the time set, and should be fully charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
A couple other points:

1. They did not use a native English speaker to write the Smart US manual, just a German who thought he was a master at English - admittedly, the grammar is good anyway.

2. You move between the screens, or items in the screen's menu, by rotating the inner ring on the right stalk (the manual describes it as "pressing up" which is confusing). You select or confirm a setting with dome-shaped button on the end of the right stalk.

3. The "charge and depart" was supposed to have a charge management syatem that would delay or throttle back charging depending on the departure time the driver sets in addition to preheat/precool. But contrary to the manual, only the preheat/precool part of it works. This is why you see on the screen when you turn the key off the selectable choices of either "Charge now" or "AC on @ XX:XX"

4. The preheat/precool only works if the car is plugged in for charging - but don't expect a lot of heat to be produced if you are charging with the 120 volt adapter set at the "low" (750A) setting.

5. Also, the blower and temperature settings do nothing during preheat/precool - the car's program controls that.

Regarding point 3, I thought for the longest time that that the highlighted "Charge Now" on the screen was some kind of warning to charge the car or something bad might happen. But then figured out that it is just the default of two settings - the other being the "AC on" setting. (Note that there is a "charge immediately" warning (and even a beeping alarm) if you park the car with a SOC below 5% or so.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the resposes.....

One other question:

Let's say that it is 10:00AM, and I want a 2hr charge....Set the depart for 12PM is that even possible, or is ot a FULL charge or nothing?....

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you use the depart function, it will do its best to be fully charged by the time, so if it would take 4 hours to charge, but you have it set to only charge for 2 hours, it will charge it for 2 hours.

The function is designed more for if you want to leave at 8 am, and you start charging at 6 pm, it won’t start charging until 4 am. This is used in some places where you get discounted electricity during the night.

I just use it to heat or cool the cabin before I leave from places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
As I mentioned in my reply, the charge-management feature of "charge and depart" does not work in US/Canada Smarts - only the preheat/precool part - at least this is the case with my 2015 model.

So, in you example, the car will charge until full or upto your departure time, unless you have an EVSE that has a charging timer feature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that explains a lot!!....I didn't read into your response abiyt the USA/CANADA thing.....and again thank you for taking the time.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2017 Smart ED and decided last night to turn on my pre-conditioning feature to be ready for 11:15 am when I exited the car at 6 pm, the climate control system was completely off. My SOC was 70% at the time.

I plugged my L2 charger (charge point) in which turns on at 7 pm and I've arranged to have it turn off at 10 pm, I do this because otherwise I find that the car trickle charges all night long which I found to be unnecessary.

I remotely monitored the charger using the Chargepoint app. At 7 pm as usual the charger starting charging and by 8:45 ish it reported that the car was no longer charging. When I looked at the SOC using my Smart Car fleetcarma ODBII tool, it showed that the car was charged from 70 to 94%.

Then in the morning at 10:30, I remotely turned on my chargepoint charger (using the chargepoint app) which then showed a very small current going to the vehicle. So by 11:13 I went out to the garage and checked on the car - while still plugged in, I opened the door and found that the climate control system was on to automatic, because it was cold overnight, heat was blowing.

I then unplugged the car and drove off for the first time completely warm and wildly pleased with the experiment.

So I think the system works as was evident by the fact that even though I plugged my car in the night before as usual which would usually report that the car was fully charged by around 9 pm (depending on the starting SOC), this time it reported 94%, the charger never did that before. Then the fact that in around 45 minutes the next morning when I turned the charger on remotely, the car basically trickle charged to full while turning on my climate control system - this out of this world for me.

I will now use this going forward.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Mine never worked like that - it charges to full and stops. It will have a brief tapering rate of charge at 100 percent which is probably the pack-balancing/constant-voltage charging mode that all lithium packs require. I've never experienced any kind of trickle charging - the ammeter on the EVSE shows zero and the EVSE disconnects the power to the car. The heater then starts about 15 minutes before the departure time, shutting off at 50 minutes after departure time if I don't depart before that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts