Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted by Jabellas, it's not unreasonable to consider that a cord dangling from the side of your ED could attract the wrong sorts. None of us wants to lose our power cable, as it is an expensive item to replace. But what if we could leave it out in the open and the weather and have no concern for its safety or survival?

I've yet to actually act on this idea, but I felt that if anyone could brainstorm on it with me, it would be the combined mental power of all ED owners on this forum. :wink:

I've considered building a garden box that was barely larger than the cable unit. It could have a rubber grommet at each end to bar any water entry. It would likely need a metal frame so that any locking would be secure. It might be good to have a bit of clearance from the ground for any pooling water. And it would be good to be water resistant and possible take a coat of paint from the colors in the surrounding environment.

Here's a quick drawing of what I was thinking

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wonder if it would make more sense to run the extension cord into the vehicle itself and just have the hatch opened slightly, or figure out a way to feed the extension cord into the cab and still be watertight.

I've wondered if the vent on the left-rear part of the car could be utilized for that...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my ghetto solution, $6.97 worth of rubbermaid's finest from Home Depot:

I park the car on the other side of that fence in a public parking lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts