Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any information anywhere in this question so I'm turning to the only experts I know.

Since we have the option to change charging rates on our EDs through the dash menus, is there some benefit to randomly changing this setting? Is it better on the battery to vary charging rates here and there? Is there any danger of the battery developing a memory or anything like that if we don't vary our charging methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
That setting is there for folks who plug into underrated or shared circuits that can't support the max. current.

I can't see any benefit from charging any slower than the already very gentle 3.8kW.

If we had the 22kW fast charger, then maybe it would be better not to use it all the time and sometimes change slower...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As SS already mentioned, if the Smarts had more powerful chargers, charging at a slower rate when a fast charge is not needed might have some benefit in pack life, but the 3.8 kw charger is only charging the pack at about a 1/5 C rate (where C=capacity of pack in amp-hrs or watt-hrs) and all lithium batteries I know of can accept a charge at up to 1C without much wear or tear as long as it is heated in cold weather as the smart pack is.

And I don't see what the use of a lower charging setting would be with any North American charging station because a properly installed and configured charging station tells the car (via a "pilot" signal on one of those small pins on the charging plug) how many amps the car is allowed to safely draw.

The only use for the reduced charging setting I can think of is where there is variable rate electric service (like Ontario, Canada) you might want to stretch the charging out into the cheaper overnight hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts