Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turned the car on Saturday morning, the SoC was reading 60%. I had plugged into my level-2 ClipperCreek around 19:00 the night before with 25% left at that time. The battery should have been full by midnight.

There were brownouts in the grid that night, some of the UPSes running my computers tripped briefly. Maybe that caused the smart or the ClipperCreek to get confused and interrupt charging? Sad that they didn't retry by themselves.

After my errands, I plugged the car in and it charged normally. I guess I'll make a point to check vh to see if the car is full when I get up, so it can charge during breakfast in case this happens again...

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's good to know how the charger handles a power outage, unfortunately it sucks to also find out that the charger doesn't automatically reinstate charging when the power returns. I guess it's part of the built-in safety features due to possible charge cable fault/power fault, and requires you to unplug and then plug-in again to reset the charging cycle.

I also have a clipper creek level 2 charger, thankfully I haven't had a brownout in the middle of the night. I'll be plugged-in right when I get home just in case of an overnight storm or power outage now that I know what can happen.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have exclusively used the 110V 8A/12A EVSE that came with the Smart ED.

When the power cycles, the EVSE resets to 8A.

I've come back to the car a few times over the winter and noticed the EVSE shows two green LED bars, which designates the 8A. I then manually press a button to increase that to four bars (12A).

The power is extremely reliable here in Ontario, very very rarely get brown outs. We have 32GW of generation and typical daily maximum is well under 20GW.

The Ontario grid is adding a lot of wind power over the next year, we've got 2GW (max) today, with 7GW (max) in the next two years, plus going from 500MW of solar to 2000MW (max) in the next two years...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My bet is that it's not the car, but the EVSE that determines how to handle brown-out conditions. Most will likely shutdown for a while. The question is, do they restart. The Keba manual (from when I briefly had one) states it tries up to 5 times before giving up. Turns out that 5 times ever, over any period of time, since power-on, which sucked rocks. The PowerXPress I have says it will power down for 15 minutes and try again up to 5 times before manual intervention is required.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess? Would be nice if the smart/app offered a "stopped powering before complete" e-mail option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts