Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Charging studs under front service panel :). I will get some photos soon. Ran the wire 6 awg through the knock out next to the battery to the front.

No more pulling up the interior to get to the battery terminals for me :cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I installed Charging studs under front service panel :). I will get some photos soon. Ran the wire 6 awg through the knock out next to the battery to the front.

No more pulling up the interior to get to the battery terminals for me :cool:

Would love to see the photos..
I want something like that.. or even a high current connector of some sort.
I usually keep a fairly hefty power inverter with me in the car.. to run small tools or an air compressor.. in other cars I had simple access to the battery.. but the smart .. not so much..
I did install a high current cig lighter style plug in the passenger footwell.. but those are not real good at 40+ amps... and the "fork lift connector" type that I sometimes see sticking out of the front bumpers of police cars (used for giving jump starts) it too big...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
...Jesus digger..what are you planning on running from "that there" post...a welder?

jetfuel...00 wired

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm not familiar with these, but shouldn't they be a bit farther apart? They seem somewhat too close, but maybe it's just me and it's tough to view the scale from the picture.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Look's like he will be jump starting semi-trucks and airplanes with those terminals. That should work well as a power source for a large airhorn :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Smart bloody idea. I was planning something along the same line, glad you paved the way.
Are you going to provide any more installation details? How did you mount the terminals? What did you use for terminals?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Good job, nice. On one of my other cars that doesn't get driven much (if ever) has a battery buried under the car that is 3 inches off the ground. I did something similar. Smart idea to do it for the smart.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smart bloody idea. I was planning something along the same line, glad you paved the way.
Are you going to provide any more installation details? How did you mount the terminals? What did you use for terminals?
Yes. the terminals are from a auto racing store on line. Also E-bay. The brackets I made myself and I mounted them on the cross member by drilling a hole. The positive terminal needs to be mounted in a way not to hit anything that would ground it out. :rolleyes: the negative was easy since no precautions were needed ( no short worry) the wire is awg 6.

The reason they are so big is to have a easy point for a positive jump cable. The last thing you want is a hard to connect post with grounding spots every place.

I might put together a package and try to sell them. To non members via E-bay or here if you all think it would work. I see it as a needed option for the car.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The parts list is the easy part. I custom made the brackets for the posts. that is what I an working on. there is a knock out nest to the battery that I ran the 6 gage wire through. the studs I got on line retail. I am trying to find a better place to get them for a better price for all. chime in here if you would be interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like you could use kwik-connects like those used for welding to make a solid and easy connection with no way to short out.Just put conventional jumper clamps on one end and the kwik- connects on the other.Easy to store as well. Nice job thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looks like you could use kwik-connects like those used for welding to make a solid and easy connection with no way to short out.Just put conventional jumper clamps on one end and the kwik- connects on the other.Easy to store as well. Nice job thanks for sharing.

Exactly what I was thinking...
Did some research.. and found these..

Anderson Power Connectors, SB & Power Pole

Louis

1 - 20 of 50 Posts