Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last week, my 451 with now 3000 miles on it is exhibiting an odd behavior.

I drive it to work and plug into an outlet using the supplied EVSE. I always plug the EVSE into the outlet, insert the charging handle, then reach down and press the button to get it going at full current. It used to always then display the number of hours it would take to get to full charge, or at least show how full it predicted the charge would be at the time of my departure if I chose that option.

If I were a bit slow in pressing the button on the EVSE, the display would within seconds recalculate and show a new estimate.

In the past week, the display always shows as if the charging current were limited on the supplied EVSE. The display never recalculates based on the higher charging current before it goes out. I have to use the key to restart the car in order for the display to be correct. The times I haven't done this, it still does manage to charge at the full rate.

Has anyone experienced this, and could this be an early indication of some issue with the HV battery or supplied EVSE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes, I have had that same experience a few times. It's like it isn't renegotiating or something. I have experimented with it much but I have seen exactly what you are describing.

Are you saying that it is still charging at the higher rate even though the time to charge shows the slower rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when the instrument panel display shuts off, it is still showing a time representative of how long it would take at the low current charging rate. It is switching to the faster rate charging, but it's not doing it as quickly as it used to.

Interesting, but I think it is charging faster now. Even when I had the car set to "max", I never saw much more than 10-11 amps of charging speed. I think it's faster now as I'm able to get from 40% to 100% during a workday, whereas it would end up only around 95% previously. Maybe because my ED sat for the better part of two years, the batteries needed some cycles to kind of regain their full functioning?

I should go and do a range test again, or maybe run it pretty low and then charge it full in one shot to rebalance the cells.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine sat at a dealership for a few months before I bought it. It did some weird stuff in the beginning until I went through some cycles. It would actually shut down shortly after hitting the 20% mark for the first 48 hours. Left me stranded twice in those first 48 hours. But that issue cleared up. So you may be on to something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
One of mine sat on the dealer's lot for two years. The other one sat on the lot for three years. Never had any issues with either of them and never noticed anything strange regarding the charging, etc. Both batteries test out very well with my test unit.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 1,500 miles

·
Registered
292 Posts
The only thing that I've noticed with ours is that it seems to estimate the time to fully charged based on the *previous* session charge rate. So for example, charged at work on [email protected] then driven home and plugged in at home with 240V (max), it will say something like 5 hours, but instead it completes charging in 2.5 hours. Conversely ...

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I always charge mine on a regular 110v outlet in my garage overnight and use the faster setting on the factory unit. It always over estimates how long it will take to charge to full. If I'm down around 20%, it will say it will take about 17 hours or so, but it usually is done in a few hours sooner than that. Never had any issues or quirks on either car.

Len

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also notice that the estimated time to full charge is pessimistic. What is interesting is just the change in behavior - how it now takes longer to recognize a change in the charging current.

I did charge it to full and then went out and did some steady, city-speed driving and the usage according to the on-board meters is about the same - just over 1 mile per 1% SOC so at least that aspect hasn't changed. I won't have time to really run it down until some time next week to test that end of the SOC spectrum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use the slow setting on my factory unit (two blinking lights) with a normal 110 outlet. The SOC increases about 10% for every two hours; so I typically go from 20 to 80% overnight. Strange Len's would take longer on the fast setting.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
My timing estimate may be a bit off or maybe my state of charge was lower than 20%, but I think I've seen some 20+ hours to a full charge when only the two blinking lights were going. The thing resets to the two blinking lights when the power goes out or when it's unplugged. I usually remember to reset it to the faster rate when I start charging. It is not at all unusual for me to see 12 hours on the faster charging rate when I'm down around 30% or maybe even 40%. Both cars are similar though. Have to pay more attention next time.

Len

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
You made me pay attention today. I was at 30% state of charge. Plugged it in using the fast setting (four lights) on a 110v outlet. Gauge tells me 13 hours to fully charge. That probably means it will be at 100% in 11 hours or so.

Len

1 - 11 of 11 Posts