Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While scoping out charging locations in my area (on Plugshare) for a particular longer trips in my Smart - I am encountering a lot of charging locations where only Tesla "destination charging" (i.e. 240v AC) is available (often hotels) - or at best (at shopping centers, supermarkets or restaurants) three Tesla and only one J1772) is available. And worse, Tesla drivers are sometimes preferring to use the J1772 station because the J1772 station charges faster according to a Tesla owner on PlugShare. Recall that all Teslas come with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter.

So what we really need is a Tesla-to J1772 adapter which allow us lower-class EV schmucks to charge off the Tesla stations and level the playing field. There is one here - bit pricey at $230. But if Tesla chargers are going to crowd out the J1772 stations and limit my charging options, I may have no choice but to get one.

UMC-J1772 Store

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would definitely say that's a good idea. Just in my area, there are only 2-3 Tesla Chargers (mostly private at hotels), but 100-200 j1772 Chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
As a non-EV owner I'm out of the loop on this but assume any adapter would not work at a Tesla supercharger location......

Also, what's the etiquette at a Tesla destination charger if a non-Tesla is charging and a Tesla pulls up in need of a charge.....

:)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At some needed charging locations for trips in certain directions in my area - especially in outer suburban areas, the Tesla charging stations are outnumbering the J1772 ones - such as a row of two or three Tesla units and one J1772. Regarding the etiquette - a few considerations:

1. Teslas can charge on either type of charging station (they all come with a J1772 plug adapter). Sometimes, the Tesla owner may even prefer to plug into the lone available J1772 if it is set to allow a higher charge rate. That would block me out of charging if I don't have an adapter.

2. The free destination charging stations themselves are subsidized by Tesla, but the electricity is provided by the store, restaurant or retail property owner, not Tesla. The retail/restaurant businesses probably prefer Teslas becasue of the mostly correct perception that Tesla owners are likely to be richer and spend more money at the destination.

3. I have yet to see any posted legal notices at the charging locations that Tesla charging stations are for the exclusive use of Tesla owners under penalty of trespass. Without such a posting, and the lawyers to enforce it, the Tesla Corp or the property owner cannot discriminate which make of EV uses free-to-the-public charging stations. Certainly Musk himself has said that he supports all EV development, not just his own.

4. No, of course this adapter cannot be used for Tesla super chargers or any other kind of HVDC charging.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
You should get the Voltage meter to test the voltage output before connecting your vehicle, the site notes.

I have seen destination chargers with "Teslas Only", but if yours doesn't probably best to test the voltage as mentioned....

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
2. The free destination charging stations themselves are subsidized by Tesla, but the electricity is provided by the store, restaurant or retail property owner, not Tesla. The retail/restaurant businesses probably prefer Teslas becasue of the mostly correct perception that Tesla owners are likely to be richer and spend more money at the destination.
Got "citation?"

InsideEVs said . . .

"But what goes on behind the scenes? How does Tesla determine locations? Do they own them? Rent them? If so, for how long? What is the cost? How long does it take to set a station up? How much land do they require? Is there is minimum on spaces?

Basically, Tesla covers all the cost, does the set-up themselves, and pays whatever electricity the Superchargers draw from the local utility…and all they ask in return is some prime real estate, ideally located, for a half decade or so."

https://insideevs.com/tech-crunch-what-it-takes-to-be-a-tesla-supercharger-partner/

Fortune says . . .
Free Supercharging for Life? Tesla Says 'No More'

Tesla Ends Free Supercharging for Life Offer | Fortune

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
. . . what's the etiquette at a Tesla destination charger if a non-Tesla is charging and a Tesla pulls up in need of a charge.....
Per Tesla website . . .

"A non-Tesla car is parked in a Supercharger stall, what should I do? Most Supercharger stalls are reserved for Tesla charging but some stalls allow general parking.

Please be aware of stall signage and if a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a Supercharger stall for greater than the posted time limits, please notify us at [email protected]."

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MB-DNA:

This is not about the Tesla superchargers. Of course a high voltage DC charger, Tesla or otherwise, would not work with this adapter which is for 208-240 (rarely 277) volt AC level 2 charging.

This adapter is for regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers.

And if someone with a Tesla, or other EV, it an ICE is going to block me from charging at a only J1772 plug, or the J1772 is malfunctioning, of course I'm going to, if I have the adapter, plug into the Tesla charging station. I'm otherwise stuck. Are Eaton charging station only for electric cars with an "Eaton" logo on them? Are Clipper Creek charging station only for cars with "Clipper Creek" logo on them? 60 Hz AC electrons are 60 Hz AC electrons. And if someone is offering those electrons as a courtesy to the public, than anyone can use them!

And yes, most Tesla owners in some Tesla fora I researched are perfectly fine with other EV's using them. We're all in this together.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
This is not about the Tesla superchargers. Of course a high voltage DC charger, Tesla or otherwise, would not work with this adapter which is for 208-240 (rarely 277) volt AC level 2 charging.

This adapter is for regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers.
Thanks for the clarification - NOT familiar with the "adapter."

The infrastructure in my non-CARB state limited range world, does not include many PRIVATE "regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers" except at a few of the newer upscale hotels.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
As a non-EV owner I'm out of the loop on this but assume any adapter would not work at a Tesla supercharger location......

Also, what's the etiquette at a Tesla destination charger if a non-Tesla is charging and a Tesla pulls up in need of a charge.....

:)
As a Tesla and Leaf owner...

Yep, nothing but Tesla equipment will work at a Supercharger since there is communication happening to identify the car, billing in the background, etc. I have seen some examples of people using wrecked Tesla hardware in another vehicle at a Supercharger, but that's rare and is still Tesla equipment even if it's stuffed in another vehicle.

The destination chargers are a different animal since we're talking L2 AC charging vs L3 DC charging at a Supercharger. Since the destination chargers aren't doing any of the vehicle authentication stuff any vehicle with a proper adapter could connect and the host business is picking up the electric tab. Personally, I don't see a problem with another EV charging at a Tesla destination charger if they have the adapter, but I would defer to a Tesla owner if they needed to use it and I was in a non-Tesla vehicle. Depending on the power supplied to the destination charger vs a J1772, I can see why a Tesla owner could prefer the J1772. Some EVs will max out the on-board charger, so it won't matter how much power the EVSE has to offer, but Teslas and newer EVs can take higher L2 charging rates so you want to use whichever offers the highest rating that your vehicle can utilize. Give me a 40A L2 vs a 16A L2 any day whatever the flavor of the EVSE.

I only charge the Leaf at home and I've only used Superchargers on trips, so it really hasn't come up for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts