Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 SmartCar electric and I love it! I want from golf cart to Bombadier (same size as smart and looks very similiar) to a GEM to this SmartCar. Oh btw I still have the GEM and it's for sale...another topic though. I was wondering when should I charge this? The other carts had lead acid type batteries and they like to be fully charged. I understand however that the Lithium battery pack when fully charged is 'stressed' and they don't like that. So do I just charge when it gets low? and how low (again lead acid doesn't like to be really lowly depleted so I would run down no lower that 60% and I always changed every night no matter) is low. Does it damage the battery pack to run down to 30% or so or do I use the mentality of not running down too low (like lead acid)? Currently I am running down to approx 40% or so and then making sure I drive it a little after a full charge (relieves the stress factor?). Thoughts? Suggestion?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

LiIon typically ages most quickly at either end of the charge cycle: very full or very empty. So if you use the car only for short trips and don't need the full capacity, you do best to try to keep the charge in the middle of the range.

The car doesn't help you with this: there is no way to have it stop charging at a <100% level, other than pulling the plug.

Don't go too crazy. LiIon is a lot less sensitive to charging regimes than lead-acid, and the cars Battery Management is a lot smarter than your average golf-cart. It will take care of itself.

Do you own the battery or lease it on BAP? If you have BAP, don't worry about any of this and just drive it!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..most of my trips are 5-8 miles. No I do not have BAP so obviously want to take good care of the pack so that it last as long as possible...oh, and how do you drive it without a smile on your face?:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Plug it in and charge it whenever you want. Forget the battery or anything becoming "stressed"

I see no drastic change in my battery after 2 and a half years of plugging in whenever.

Plug and Drive!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
If you're using it regularly, I'd say just charge it whenever, the battery management system will sort out the details. If you're going to leave it unused for a while, you may not want it to be fully charged or near empty and sitting. I have a Leaf and that's my general rule of thumb. I don't drive many miles, so I typically wait until it hits 20% or less before charging and then let it charge fully which is about once or twice a week generally.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,976 Posts
I understand however that the Lithium battery pack when fully charged is 'stressed' and they don't like that.

...and then making sure I drive it a little after a full charge (relieves the stress factor?). Thoughts? Suggestion?
Welcome to SCoA.

Theocato, you my friend are the only stress factor? Take a deep breath and drive like you stole it!

Plug and PLAY, ED will be fine and no need to burp it after a full charge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Agree on the drive it like you stole it approach. The ED's are not a leaf. Great little car. Wish I could buy a second one but not in the budget......yet. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts