Smart Car of America Forum banner

Charging

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Foolios 
#1 ·
Is there like a portable charger to charge Smart Fortwo electric while away from home?

#4 ·
Yes, but is there a portable charger that doesn’t need to be plugged in? NO. Like can you charge the partabke (portable?) charger and take it in case of an emergency? NO.
Welcome to SCoA.

The portable EVSE is not a charger NOR A BATTERY but rather a "link" between the power source (wall plug) and the SAE J1772 plug that connects to the ED (EV) on-board charger. It creates the "handshake" that says all systems are go to allow electricity to flow from the plug into the on-board charger.

Unlike an ICE vehicle, there is no convenient way to carry a gallon of EV "electrons" in a 5 gallon can "in case of an emergency." :shrug:

MODS - this may be better served if it were moved to smart fortwo Electric Drive?

#9 ·
It's a question that lacks a good engineering answer (and is therefore an impractical idea).

I don't think it's a ridiculous question on the face of it, though.

Agreed. Would be pretty neat to have a portable power bank capable of charging an ED (at least partially) where no charging infrastructure is available. Like while you’re at work but don’t have access to a power source. Even though it would be slow going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Yes the Chevy Volt is the perfect car until the high-range EVs go down in price and until the EV charging infrastructure improves - which, if anything, is in retreat right now. Here in Pittsburgh, EV-sightings have declined considerably since a peak in 2014.

Shame that GM never made any effort at all to market the Volt, and they will be discontinuing it after this year. Every owner - people who would have never bought any other crappy GM product - loves it.

GM is doing nothing to promote the Bolt either, and its days are probably numbered too. EV progress resolutely marches in reverse in the USA right now, and many parts of Canada - especially Ontario.

#18 ·
Yes the Chevy Volt is the perfect car until the high-range EVs go down in price and until the EV charging infrastructure improves - which, if anything, is in retreat right now. Here in Pittsburgh, EV-sightings have declined considerably since a peak in 2014.

Shame that GM never made any effort at all to market the Volt, and they will be discontinuing it after this year. Every owner - people who would have never bought any other crappy GM product - loves it.

GM is doing nothing to promote the Bolt either, and its days are probably numbered too. EV progress resolutely marches in reverse in the USA right now, and many parts of Canada - especially Ontario.
I totally agree with you. My first and last GM products were in the early 80's.
I really hope GM uses the Volt Drivetrain in a SUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.