Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2009 Smart that the check engine light was a frequent issue. I then got a 2011. Never had an issue. (although I read in my new literature about Shell, Mobile of BP fuel was recomended.) Then I filled up at Super America (premium) and the check engine light came on after about 1/4 tank was used. I was pissed thinking that I needed to take that 250 mile trek to get this looked at and then it turned off after I filled with 93 Octane fuel. (Many premium pumps are 91). But then recalled the information of higher quality gas suggested. So for the past year I have tested. I went to the lower quality stores (like SA and Holiday) and sure enought, there was my light. Filled at the Shell, Mobile or BP with 93 octane and it went off after a few hundered miles.

Might just be coincidence (just finished my 6th rotation test) but if you want my light to go on, give be a few hundrend miles and lower quality gas and I will make it shine.

Just heads up for others who have had this light issue.

·
Super Moderator
28,461 Posts
Thanks for the info. It may be the fuel, but over three smarts (currently a 2011) and everything from off brand 89 octane to Shell V-Power 93 octane, never had a CEL. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts