Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few thousand dollars, and about 20,000 miles the check engine light is still on, and now I am already in additional extended month for emission inspection and have no idea how am I going to pass it. The worst thing is that I lost confidence in the ability of dealership to fix it. This is second time I lost my confidence. The first time I lost confidence was about 2 years ago when after several different attempts to fix, when the total cost hit about $2,000, and asking to spend another $1,800 I decided to stop listening to them and just continue driving until something breaks down so the dealership will know what to change. By this time I have already paid to change o2 upstream sensor, i think also purge valve, among other things. So according to my decision I've driven about 18,000 miles since then, but because the emission inspection was due at the end of September I took it to some other place. This other place changed O2 upstream sensor again, but the check engine light promptly came on after 100 miles. So I took it to the dealership once again and after struggling to diagnose what was wrong they decided to change the purge valve, and the check engine light came back on after 45 miles. Have no idea whereto go from here, and my one month extension for the emissions expiring at the end of October.
Please help.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have had a p0442 error code come up for quite a while. usually at about 1/2 tank of gas and only when I sit at a stop light, or parked with the motor running. It can be reset with my Scangauge and it doesn't come back until I refuel and get down to that 1/2 tank of fuel. If I refill before getting to that magic level, it doesn't come on. They don't do an emissions check here o I don't worry about it too much.

I believe it is a vacuum hose or something but as yet I have not found it. I tried the standard items as you have. Also might be a gas cap.. You really need to get the code Most car parts places can scan the code for free, but they won't reset it. Maybe you can pick up a scanner and reset it just before driving into the emissions testing place and sneak through??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You really need to get the code Most car parts places can scan the code for free, but they won't reset it. Maybe you can pick up a scanner and reset it just before driving into the emissions testing place and sneak through??
That will not work. The current method of emissions testing uses the diagnostic port to check not only fault codes but also the on-board test monitors. If most or all of the monitors show incomplete the test station knows there was a fault and somebody cleared them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Please help.
Help how? What kind of answer do you expect? No mention of what code or codes sets in which system and no indication of when it sets according to freeze frame data. No place to start.

The Check Engine light will stop coming on when the relevant fault is corrected. Unfortunately, the car is still broken because the auto repair industry in this country is mostly broken. Any jackass with a bag of tools can call himself a mechanic and charge you money to not repair your car. There is more to it than reading a code and throwing parts, then giving up when the guesses are wrong.

You need to locate a top-flight professional shop experienced with European cars in particular.

Try locating a ASA shop. Home Page - ASA National

See if you can locate one or more shops in your area. Call them and explain what kind of car and the problem you have. If one particular shop can not help they may know one who can.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Do you think corporate Smart USA might point in the right direction?
Yeah, they will point you straight to the same dealership that hasn't fixed it yet. smart USA Corporate & help should never be used in the same sentence...>:D

Plus, it's an 8 year old car that's been out of warranty for 6 years. Doubt they will have much interest in helping out...

Like rustedwrench said, find yourself a top-notch local European shop that understands smarts, and see what they say.

We cannot be any help here if you can't share codes with us...:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Help how? What kind of answer do you expect? No mention of what code or codes sets in which system and no indication of when it sets according to freeze frame data. No place to start.

The Check Engine light will stop coming on when the relevant fault is corrected. Unfortunately, the car is still broken because the auto repair industry in this country is mostly broken. Any jackass with a bag of tools can call himself a mechanic and charge you money to not repair your car. There is more to it than reading a code and throwing parts, then giving up when the guesses are wrong.

You need to locate a top-flight professional shop experienced with European cars in particular.

Try locating a ASA shop. Home Page - ASA National

See if you can locate one or more shops in your area. Call them and explain what kind of car and the problem you have. If one particular shop can not help they may know one who can.
Does not sound good for DEALERSHIP they have been taking it to and spending a lot of money only to have the light come back up. I would think they should be trained in the proper repair procedure in order to be a dealership. That was how it worked when I worked at a dealership back in the day...

Hard to help out without a code..

Used to be if you could demonstrate that you tried to repair the engine light or emissions and it was not repairable, they would let you pass through, but that was about 35 years ago in California when I lived there..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts