Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I recently purchased my Smart Fortwo Pure about a month ago, private sale.
When I bought it I got it checked over, nothing wrong except breaks that needed to be done which I recently just did.

Now, about a week ago I filled up my Smart. A few days after that I noticed the check engine light was on, just solid not flashing. The temperature here now is getting to around -40 degrees celsius, and I don't plug my car in (Which i should, I know) and it starts up just fine. I put gas-line anti freeze in, to see if that solved the issue as it did on my dad's vehicle when the engine light came on. A week later when I reach 1/4 tank, it shuts off.

Then, I fill it up once again, drive it for a few hours and bam: the lights back on. I live in a small town and the nearest mechanics place is around 45 minutes away. When I had taken it in for its breaks the light was on and they said I would need to take it to Mercedes dealership for them to read the code, which happens to be very far away as well.

I had read online that when it shuts off, and comes on again its potentially due to the PCM failing to test the emissions control part of the engine because it requires at least 1/4 to perform which is when the light shut off, and when I filled it it came on again. Could an issue with that be the problem? I heard its a common issue for Smarts. Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: I live in Canada, if that helps any

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

The only way to nail this down is to scan the car for OBD codes. To really get into the Mercedes systems codes you'll need to find someone with a professional grade scanner, preferably also with access to a Mercedes STAR machine. Otherwise you're just guessing what the problem(s) may be.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
it sounds like it might be a lose gas cap but the only way to know for sure is to have the code read with a scanner. Most auto parts stores will scan it for free, butt they may not be able to scan all the codes. some require the dealer's system to read

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive tightened the gas cap each time it has come on. I'm going to phone some shops around the nearest city and see if they have the scan gauge reader for my smart. I won't be able to go to the city until the end of the week so I was hoping for some ease to my worries through this forum and the well informed people who can/have helped me out with this issue!
Last week I had called Mercedes to give me a price estimate to diagnose and it was $200... so Im going to try and find another place that can hopefully do it for cheaper, at best free. I try and avoid taking my vehicle to Mercedes at all costs since not only are they the most expensive option but they aren't very reliable... The one guy I know that owns and loves his smart swears by this one mechanics shop in town, so I will give them a try!

I was also potentially hoping that I could figure the problem out through this forum and maybe tell them what I think might be the issue and they can evaluate it and see if that is the issue vs reading the code?? Is that a thing??

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Even a tight cap could have a leaking gasket, or corrosion built up on the sealing surface, or even a hose clamp that needs tightening and cause an air leak. Without knowing the error code that is tied to the CEL (check engine light) , it would be a guess. Code readers can be picked up anywhere from $15 up to &1800 (and more). I personally have 2, first one I got was for $12 on sale and I have used it for years! I then purchased a more expensive one (less than $100) that I needed to read live data. I also have a ScangaugeII that is in the smart just for tracking engine temps and MPG. It is also capable of reading error codes if I need to and resetting them.

It is possible that you may be overfilling the tank. I have found that the best method is to fill at the slowest setting on the pump. then once it stops, fill again until it quits and STOP. These cars have a history of air bubbles in the tank and may show that it isn't completely full. Don't worry about it. the gauges aren't too accurate at full but are spot on when they get close to empty. Overfilling will cause the light to go on and floods the carbon canister. the light goes out when it dries out.

If it is a long drive for service, get yourself a cheap code reader and at least have the codes to evaluate any problems.

·
Banned
844 Posts
if you fill the tank to the top, you'll get a P0497 error, that's really nothing, you've drowned the evap filter, that goes away over time. when you check the OBDII reading, it may be P0497, if that's the one, ignore it, you'll be fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts